The Sun and the Snow

Maddi's POV

"How are you feeling, hun?" Asked Sunni as she sat down in front of me, crossing her long, tan legs. My eyes seemed followed the thin line of her body, but for once, I didn't feel completely jealous and disgusted with myself.

A smile crossed my lips, "A lot better than I have in a while."

"Really?" She grinned enthusiastically, her white teeth gleaming, "I'm so happy to hear that!"

"You know..." I paused for a moment, "I never would've started getting better unless it was for you."

"Aw, shucks," She winked, "I didn't do anything sweetheart, that was all you."

I shook my head, remembering the day she told me her story. The day that I changed my view and perspective on life. My thoughts floated back, and I drowned out the noise of the common room we were lounging in.

"So why are you here?"

"I used to be so afraid of telling people," Sunni smiled sadly, "But now, I know it wasn't my fault."

I nodded, waiting for her to continue.

"When I was around ten years old, my parents divorced. My mother became really depressed so I was sent to live with my dad. I was an only child at the time. My dad had always been sort of cold and unemotional, but once I lived alone with him things changed. I thought he was paying more attention to me because he felt bad...but instead, it was because, well, I was growing into puberty."

"I'm confused..." I trailed off, wondering what was coming next.

"The first time he molested me was on my eleventh birthday. After that, it became a regular thing. When I was a teenager, he began to advertise me to others. I was a way for him to make money. When I turned 18, I ran off with the first boy who showed me any sign of love."

I was shaking, becoming numb to her words. They horrified me. How could a parent do that to their child?"

"Well, he was a junkie. Heroin, mainly. He started shooting me up too. Then I started to lose control. All my inner demons let out. I was violent towards people. One day one of his friends was over, and he tried to touch me..."

My heart skipped a beat.

"So I stabbed him a total of 42 times."

I shook my head, remembering that fateful day. Such a beautiful girl, one who made me smile everyday, one who encouraged me to eat and be confident. Sunni was blessed with a charming face and personality, and was cursed with a terrible life. As a result, she was confined to this hospital for most of her days. The possibility of leaving one day could happen, but not for another four years. And so here she remained.

Winter came and sat by us, resulting in another bright smile on Sunni's face. Sunni and Winter were as opposite as their names, however, had a bond so unbreakable and close that I'm not sure anything could tear them apart.

"It's our day, Maddi." A few tears escaped Winter's eyes as she reached for my hand.

I nervously nodded back, "I can't believe I've been in here for a month."

"I can't believe I'm clean," She said back, a nervous laughter escaping her lips.

"Do you think you two will ever visit me?" Asked Sunni.

"Of course," Winter replied, "You're my sister."

I felt a pang of loneliness as they embraced. Then they both turned to me.

"Maddi, know that you are our sister too. We wish you the best of luck with everything."

I stood up, linking my arms through theirs. I had never met girls that showed me such compassion and love. They didn't judge my disorder like Emma did, or deny theirs like Adam. It killed me to have to leave them, but I knew that I had to go back and face reality someday.

ADAMS POV

"She gets out today," I sucked in a breath. "I can't believe I haven't talked to her this entire time."

I turned towards Ashton, my hands visibly shaking. He offered me a small smile. As my older brother, he often offered me understanding without judgment.

"Well you must be excited to see her," He replied, running a hand through his shaggy, dark locks.

I nodded, "Of course I am."

"Do you still want me here when she comes back?" He asked, lighting up a cigarette.

I nodded, "Since Emma is gone, I need help with the rent. I'm not even sure that Maddi will want to stay here anymore. She did dump me after all."

"Well now that you're not using, maybe she'll give you another chance."

I nodded solemnly. After Emma had left after our fight, Ashton moved in with me since I couldn't afford the place on my own. He made me promise that as long as he was here I wouldn't use heroin. So like a good boy, I accepted. But I still shoot up at least twice a day.

"Ready to go pick her up?" He asked, "I'll go warm up the car."

"Yeah, sure," I replied, "Let me just use the bathroom and I'll be down there in a few minutes."

I waited until I heard him close the door, then I quickly pulled up my pant leg, securing a belt on my calf to create a tourniquet. My veins were become harder and harder to find, especially since I couldn't shoot up in visible places with Ashton around. After a moment of searching, I found a thick blue vein, and in went the needle.

I love Madison, and I can't wait to see her, but I love heroin, and I haven't been able to go a day without it.