Chapter 4

💫Chapter 4: The Bidding💫

~Zelda sat demurely in her seat, watching as the crowns were first displayed, and then auctioned off. The auctioneer stood on the stage, a short man with a slightly wheezy voice, who never spoke fast if not for the auction. Normally, his speech was unhurried. His hair was black, and hung to his square shoulders. His eyes were a warm gray hue, and his overall attitude was genuinely generous. Which was why he'd been chosen for this job. He wore a dark blue suit and walked with a pronounced limp in his left leg.

The bidding went without a hitch. Each crown was bidden on. Zelda was pleased to see that some of the crowns did not appeal to the wealthy artisans, which left some of the poorer residents of Hyrule to purchase them. She smiled as an older lady claimed the eleventh crown, for three-hundred-and-twenty rupees, hearing her tell her Zora companion that she was going to present her granddaughter with it for a gift on her thirteenth birthday.

The next crowns were sold to rich and poor alike, which made the Princess of Hyrule very happy indeed. The auction was a great success so far. Now there was only one crown remaining.

The last crown was placed on the bust. Zelda's breath caught, and audible gasps sounded from the crowd, as it came into view. It was very well-designed, and so beautiful. A silver work of art, decked out with small emeralds, bigger rubies, and very large sapphires, it was easily the prettiest crown of the lot. It was clearly designed to honor the three Spiritual Stones, which were on display in the Temple of Time, to be viewed on tours of the Castle grounds, and Zelda highly approved of whoever had fashioned this crown. She half-wished she'd been allowed to buy in this auction, if only to purchase this particular piece of jewelry. She could see why it had been saved for last. Noting that all of the richest attendees had already emptied their coin purses, she wondered to which lucky soul this crown would go.

The bidding for the last crown began, and it was clear that the remaining bidders wanted it. Higher and higher the bids went, until finally, it was sold to an older man in a brown cloak, for exactly five-hundred rupees. The auctioneer closed the ceremony with a statement that came straight from his humble heart.

"It is a great joy to see so many various residents of our fine Kingdom of Hyrule turn out for attendance for this auction. Years of prosperity surely await the Royal Family and all of the people here, as well as their families and friends. With all the rupees collected here today, plus the generous donation from Zelda's parents, the Youth Hyrule Castle Town Music School will be built within mere months. As the most honored musician among Hyrule's own Royal Family, Princess Zelda will be holding auditions for extra music teachers next week to work alongside herself. If any of you here wish to be a part of that, please inquire with Impa after the proceedings. Thank you all for attending, and may your lives be blessed."

The crowd, Zelda and Impa included, applauded. When the buzz died down, Zelda stood and mingled a bit, chatting here and there. Everyone eventually dispersed, and the auctioneer left too, but one person was left behind. The older gentleman in the brown cloak.

She saw the crown he was clutching in his hand...his youthful hand. She was alarmed, wondering who this stranger is. He stepped forward, and held the crown out to her. She was shocked, but responded kindly, trying not to sound like she was rebuffing him. She didn't like to be unkind.

"You purchased it, sir. It belongs to you now."

Still, he held it out, presenting it, seemingly, as a gift.

Zelda had tried diplomacy, and now it was time for a different tact. She attempted to be firm.

"Really sir, it is yours. I own more crowns than I actually need, so please, keep it."

"Surely, you'd like this one, Princess Zelda..." He said, just as firmly, in a familiar voice.

The man lowered his hood, revealing his true identity. Zelda gasped. It was...him!~