how it began

The turret assembly line was pretty simple, it was just assembling a turret, putting the turret on the conveyor, and then testing those turrets with multiple "tests" as GLaDOS would put it, but, seeing as GLaDOS wasn't there anymore, that didn't matter in the least. During the assembly of the turret, each part of the turret is shipped from the storage area, then attached to the turret. But, to "make them more efficient", the turret's A.I. would be hand programmed, well, programmed by the assembly line, separately, leaving room for error and malfunction of the turrets. which led to the annoying turrets that were black and had a not-so-soothing voice. It also resulted in a specific turret whose programming was so messed up, it became sentient. It knew what was going to happen and knew what would happen if it failed. The turret went through a series of functionality tests, then it was shipped into a testing chamber, where, eventually, there would be a point in which it could hopefully destroy some foolish person who walked into the testing chamber without knowledge of the turret being there. that didn't happen for a long, long, time, and the years wore on, and plants began to grow down the walls of the testing chamber. then, suddenly, after about 9... 9... 9... 9... 9... 9... 9__ its internal clock was probably broken now, the turret assumed, it felt a tremor through the test chambers. "What fool is bringing cargo down by here with such inaccuracy." the turret thought. wondering if maybe the fool wasn't experienced at all, and just so happened to be on the maintenance crew. "The fools" said the turret to itself as it stared around this empty test chamber.

"The fool" in question was actually just  a robot attending to the humans, and did not realize they were basically all dead. so he went from room to room, searching for a living human. He stopped at a door, and proceeded to use a recorded knocking sound at each door, if nobody answered within a minute, he would leave. After maybe 66,946,847,583,658,463 doors he was starting to actually shout inside to make it easier. As he was in mid-shout the door opened and the bot was startled and shouted in surprise. Standing there was a woman of about... well, how does one tell how old another is when they've been in suspension for so long? he came in and looked around "well" the functionality core said after looking upon the woman for a bit. "most people may feel... a little disoriented upon coming out of prolonged suspension of about a year or so. And, well you've been under for, quit a lot longer, and there is a slight chance that you may have a very minor case, now, just a minor one nothing to worry about, of... serious brain damage. Now, don't feel alarmed... but, if you do feel alarmed try to hold on to that feeling as that means you might not have brain damage." He was slightly unnerved by the woman staring at him with a look that may or may not have been brain damage induced, but to make sure, he asked her a question, " can you say apple? aapplle" the response he received wasn't very reassuring... the woman just jumped up and down. "uh ok" said the functionality core as it moved to the controls of the mini room, only accessible by the functionality cores. "uh, you may want to hold on to something, as this ride could get pretty bumpy" said Wheatly, the functionality core, as the room began to move.