Chapter Thirteen

After listening to the reports and deciding to split again later, Kendli, Vadmar, Tato and Zaria healed King’s shattered claw.

Then Vadmar built a fire and they settled down. Zaria and Tato were curled up on the left side of the clearing, no doubt in silent conversation. Kendli sat alone, her features distorted in concentration as she wrote in her journal.

Minki smiled at Lector. “It seems you were right about Vadmar and Jenna.”

He looked up to see the two picking berries from some nearby bushes, giggling as they worked. “I know. It’s strange seeing Jenna that way.”

“You’re okay with it? Aren’t elder brothers very protective?”

“Well, I can’t exactly challenge an elf now, can I? I can’t believe we’re eating berries for dinner. The dragons went hunting; they could’ve brought us something.”

Minki shrugged. “I guess we need to keep to the elves’ ways. When in Casmera, eh?”

“Whatever; tomorrow night I’m asking King to bring me some meat. Where is King, by the way?”

“Resting under those trees; he’s still a little weary. Sila’s keeping him company.”

“You know, this has the potential to become a very interesting trip.”

“Minki, something just moved in that bush.”

Lector froze, staring at a now stationary shrub, preparing for the monster that would pounce at any moment.

Minki gulped. “That’s because we’re surrounded.”

Dozens of glowing eyes stared at them from the shadows. They drew nearer and nearer. King let out a roar and blew smoke out of his nostrils. It had no effect on the nearing eyes.

“Surrounded by…?”

Suddenly, one of them dashed over to Lector and took a bite off his ear. The Prince got a close look at it. A dainty creature with grey wings, a bald head and large red eyes grinned at him with a full set of sharpened fangs.

And then everything became blurry and the world spun into a green, black, white and blonde mush. His knees buckled and finally collapsed.

He was paralyzed.

The world went black.

“Lector!” It took Minki a while to realise that the scream had come from her.

Suddenly, a pixie gunned for her throat, but she swatted it, sending the creature crashing into a tree trunk.

The rest attacked.

King roared as he fought his way through.

King, use magic!

I’m trying, but I think they’re immune.

Aaaaah! Call Tato; tell him to bring Vadmar.

Tato let out a fierce roar and Vadmar spun around. Tato? What’s wrong?

Minki, King and Lector; they’re being ambushed by pixies. Hurry!

“Jenna, you and Sila must continue on this path alone. I have to go save your brother, his girl and her dragon from pixies.”

“Oh no- Lector- Are they alright?”

“They will be if I leave now.”

She grabbed hold of his arm, brown eyes gleaming with fear. “What if there’s a trap on this path?”

He threw his arm around her waist, pulled her closer and kissed her passionately. She was startled, but did not pull away.

“If anything happens, let Sila call Zaria. Kendli will come save you.”

Minki fended off the pixies that made for Lector’s unmoving body, whilst King let out jets of fire that did nothing, but encourage the enemy further.

Suddenly, Minki looked up to see Vadmar flick one away. “The only thing that can stop them is a lullaby.”

“What?! You want me to sing to them.”

He nodded and Minki sighed. “Okay-er-

“Sweet little baby

Sleep little lady

Let your dreams take flight-’’

The pixies’ onslaught became less aggressive.

“Tomorrow you’ll wake up

And you’ll be in luck

Your dreams will all come true.”

The eyes disappeared and silence fell. Minki sighed with relief and fell down on Lector’s chest, letting out a single sob. Then she sat up and looked at Vadmar with wide eyes. “What about Lector?”

“I am afraid that pixie bites cannot be healed by magic. I’ll gather some herbs, but that’s all I can do-’’

She gave another sob. “Is it fatal?”

“Two or more, yes. But one pixie bite will heal in a matter of days. It won’t be a pleasant experience, but he’ll be fine. Let’s get him back to the fork and I’ll treat him there.”

Minki nodded. “Thank you, Vadmar.”

Jenna sighed dreamily as she floated along the path. He kissed me, Sila. He kissed me.

To make you feel safe.

What happened to your usual optimism?

I just don’t want to see you get hurt. If dragons are mates, their riders will almost surely be as well.

Then I guess this is one of those unusual cases. I think he really likes me.

Just don’t fall in love with him.

Jenna grinned and broke into a giggle. Too late.

They reached the end of the path. It went on to the right and the left. Looks like tomorrow will be another day of splitting up.

They were taller than she, with more muscle and fiercer features. She’d counted precisely ten arrows that were aimed directly at her heart.

The one straight in front of her spoke, “Sloviat kann lemango sistré gostrava?” Should we set her free?

Kendli understood every word, but remained blank-faced. “Kann sloviat meme sistré ohlat pelpé.” We should deem her worthy first.

The leader spoke to her in a heavy accent. “Who you? What you seek?”

“Zohvat beeblin lib Konissa Kendli Gondamoore. Mala leafet bava gollay Figla do Saldor le cupetta Kons.” My name is Princess Kendli Gondamoore. I seek safe passage to the Weapon of Saldor, in order to kill the human king. Kendli knew the Wood Elf language and culture well.

Their weapons were lowered. “Gina abo colta tallenda zup kentain, Konissa.” You speak our language very well, Princess.

“Tzenke. Mala ke zup gerrai le zan no goataan do Zook Alvaen.” Thank you. I am very pleased to be in the presence of Wood Elves.

“Kann lemango gina gostrava, Konissa. Henn lib kentain gway.” We set you free, Princess. This is not the right path.

“Tzenke. Kentain pilazo le Zook Alvaen.” Thank you; good fortune to the Wood Elves.

They entered the forest with unimaginable grace and disappeared. Zaria let out a dreamy sigh of relief. Kendli, they’re amazing.

We might have just been closer to Wood Elves than anyone in the history of elves.