Chapter Ten

Everyone was there. All the elves were gathered around the Prophecy Oak; even the Wood Elves watched from the distance.

Kendli, Vadmar, Zorak and Minki were in a tent next to the clearing where the Ceremony would take place.

Kendli cradled the green dragon egg. She was nervous. What if she’d chosen the wrong one and didn’t have a connection with her dragon?

They’d had to choose a name. What id hers was ridiculous? Mother Quinn’s speech began and Kendli’s heart raced.

“Elves, humans and, as we are honoured to announce, Sila, welcome to the Ceremony that will once again bring dragon riders to the elves.” The crowd cheered.

“We will utilise these dragons and their keepers to free this race and restore them to their former glory.” More applause.

“And now I present our future dragon riders.”

Kendli took a deep breath and walked into the clearing, feeling very scrutinised. Vadmar, Zorak and Minki followed.

“Princess Kendli, what do you wish your dragon to be named?”

“Male or female?”

Mother Quinn touched the egg and closed her eyes. “Female.”

“Zaria.”

“Ancient for strength; very fitting, Princess.”

“Thank you, Mother Quinn.”

Mother Quinn took the egg.

“Power of land, air and sea,

Unite and give this dragon

The power to become what it must be.

“And now I give you Zaria.”

The egg started to glow and then split open. A shaft of green light burst into the air and a gigantic emerald dragon flew down from above.

She gleamed, even in the blackness of the night. She was ten times more magnificent than the museum mural. Kendli’s heart soared when the dragon landed next to her.

Zaria.

Kendli.

Kendli smiled. Zaria bowed her head and Kendli threw her arms around the dragon’s neck. In her heart, she knew she’d made the right choice.

Lector sat on Sila’s left, admiring the show. Zorak’s golden dragon, Bakson (or Majesty), was absolutely stunning.

Lector watched in awe as Vadmar’s red, Tato, hatched. The dragons were more amazing than anything he could’ve imagined. Tato was like his name: free.

But, the most beautiful dragon of the night, was Minki’s white. He demanded all the attention and respect. He was a snow king, magical in every sense.

“I give you, King.”

Minki had not named him in the ancient language, but his name fit him perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for reading my work. I really appreciate it. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------