Chapter Thirty

Love is a strange thing. It can make the weakest person strong, and the strongest person weak.
-Unknown

Claire Sanders

"Claire?"

I stirred then fluttered my eyes, to take in a face inches away from my own. A small body was wrapped around my midriff and the hold of it tightened as I moved.

"We're here. Claire, you really need to be awake or else your brute's gonna kill me on the spot." The face said. It had a brush voice with urgency.

I shook my head to get my bearings then winced when I felt a severe headache.

Finally, I groaned out. "Shut up, Neil." And pushed his face away.

Turning to my left, I noticed the familiar black and golden gate. As the car went around the fountain and parked in front of the stairs, the main door opened and Tyler walked out.

He stood at the top of the stairs, with his legs parted, his hands on hips, portraying a strong posture. His facial structures were tight and frozen.

Untucking Lydia from me, Neil stepped out first then came around the car to my side and opened the door for me. His broad shoulders hid me from Tyler but I felt him looking this way.

My right foot hurt. Even the slightest pressure heightened the pain ten times worse. My face hurt and I could feel something on my forehead. It felt like blood but it must had dried out. That would explain the tightening of my forehead skin. Then there's the pain in my side. I couldn't even move my upper body without wincing.

"Good luck to me." Neil said, under his breath then cradled me carefully in his arms and turned around to face my husband.

At first, I saw the widening of his grey eyes then Neil couldn't even take one step before Tyler barrelled down the stairs with frantic steps.

"Claire!" In seconds, he was in front of us forcibly taking me out of Neil's arms. His frightened eyes scanned me from hair to feet. "Who did this to you?!" He growled out, anger seeping in his eyes. He lifted his head then glared at Neil before splaying his fingers under me and crushing me to his chest with one arm.

I wrapped my arms around his neck quickly as he freed one of his hand to push Neil on the shoulder. "What the hell happened?!" He shouted. His veins on his neck looked about to pop and his whole body visibly started shaking in anger.

I leaned my head on his shoulder and whispered. "Tyler..."

Instantly, Neil was forgotten as he looked down on me with pained expression. "Claire...oh god!"

From the corner of my eyes, I noted Lydia in Simon's arms but when she saw us, she jumped down with a cry and ran.

"Daddy!" She called out before hugging Tyler's legs. I could feel her head behind my back as she sobbed. If Tyler was angry when he saw me, he was even more angrier when he saw Lydia. He was practically seething.

Lydia's one side of the face had dirt and her dress had grass stains all over it. Her face was all red and splotchy too.

I had to agree we both looked terrible and that didn't help Tyler's temper at all.

"Someone speak now!" He frantically glanced from Neil to Simon but before anyone could explain, the familiar SUV stopped behind the Mercedes and I shuddered, already knowing who came.