Chapter Four

Alex watched as Laryssa's eyes tracked his every move. Her breathing quickened with each step he took. The best thing to do would be to walk out that door and never come back, but he was in it too deep. He challenged her already and couldn't back down now. Besides, for some reason he didn't want to walk away. She lifted her head and their eyes locked. Her brown eyes darkened with interest, only a narrow ring of her true color remained.

He closed the space in a matter of seconds and scooped her up in his arms. She pushed against his chest and tried to pull her legs free, wiggling her bum in the process.

"Put me down, I'll sit in the chair," she pleaded, pushing even harder against him.

He tightened his hold on her. "Watch it, or I might drop you," he warned. "Besides, you had your chance. Now just sit back and enjoy the ride. You might find you enjoy it more."

"Fat chance," she mumbled. He barely suppressed a grin that was fighting its way to the surface. The first time he picked her up, she was unconscious. This time, she was very much awake and every time she wiggled, his hand brushed the corner of her breast. The contact created a fire under his skin that shot straight to his loins. He re-adjusted his hold and turned towards the door of the hospital room.

"You can't be serious about carrying me the whole way." She studied his face, mouth open.

"There's one thing I'll let you know about me, I mean what I say." With that, he started walking down the hallway.

He felt the moment of her surrender. Her hands came up around his neck and linked together. She let her head rest against his chest. His heart started to pound and he wondered if she'd notice. If she did, she gave no indication. Instead, she snuggled even closer and sighed. Her breast pushed up against his chest and a fizz of energy shot through his body, stopping in a place where he thought all interest left long ago. His body jolted at the intensity of his desire. She tilted her head and look up at him.

"Am I getting to be too much for you, tough guy?" She unlinked her hands from around his neck to squeeze his biceps.

He was definitely getting himself in over his head, but it was too late to change his mind now. He could see his car outside the hospital doors. When he reached it, he opened the door and gently lowered her on to the seat. He grabbed the seatbelt and fastened her in.

"What do you think I'm going to do, Mr. Richards, run away?" she asked him when he climbed in the other side.

"The thought had crossed my mind." He turned the engine on and pulled away from the entrance of the hospital.

"In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly capable of running at the moment." She rested both hands on her protruding belly.

He shrugged and said, "Better to be safe than sorry." With how stubborn she was, he could imagine her trying to get out of the car the minute he pulled to a stop at a red light.

They lapsed into silence, until he turned onto the highway. "Uh, you are taking me home right?" Laryssa sat further up in her seat.

"Why?" He placed his foot a little harder on the accelerator to keep up with the flow of traffic.

"It's my home. Do I really have to give you a reason?" She folded her arms across her chest while her foot tapped on the floor.

The pout on her face sent another shot of desire through him. Since when did he get turned on by a pouting, pregnant woman? There must be something wrong with him. Of course there is something wrong with you, you fool. You're getting turned on by a woman who's pregnant with another man's baby.