Chapter Five

Why couldn't he just go away? She slid down further in the bath and let the water run over her ears.

"If you don't answer, now! I'm going to come in," he threatened. She heard a moment of silence, followed by another pound on the door. "Damn it, Laryssa. Answer me!"

Couldn't he take a hint that she didn't want to talk to him. She heard the door handle shake. He wouldn't dare. She shot up in the bath, reaching for a towel.

The door burst open. She watched in horror as the towel she was reaching for fell to the floor. "What do you think you're doing," she screeched, covering herself with her arms.

The gentlemanly thing to do would be to pick up the towel, hand it to her and leave the bathroom, but Alex couldn't make his feet move. Her hair, straightened by the weight of the water, rested like a curtain over her full breasts. His eyes drifted downward to where her hand covered the mound between her thighs. Matching curly hair peeked around her hand.

He swallowed hard when his insides heated and his friend, yet again, decided to perk up at the sight of her. He'd read about sirens, but never in all his life did he ever think he'd meet one. She stood there staring at him, not saying a word, but her song sang out to him. Alex tugged at the waist of his tightened jeans. He felt like a teenager again, and the last thing he wanted was to be interested in a woman.

"I...you..." He slammed his hand on the door handle in frustration when he heard the huskiness in his own voice. He let out a low growl as he grabbed her by the arm, hauling her out of the tub. She let out a gasp as her hand pulled away from her chest, revealing her ample breasts and darkened centers, nipples puckered. She crossed her legs and attempted to cover herself with her free hand, not very successfully mind you.

Were they aroused because of him, or because she was cold? He fought the urge to pull her close to find out. The smell of strawberries tickled his senses. His gaze traveled down her body and back up, making it harder for him to let go. Her cheeks were flushed by the time his gaze locked with hers. Involuntarily, his hand reached out and stroked her cheek. Her eyes widened and she jerked back.

Fear! He realized. She was afraid of him. The thought was like a mental cold shower. He dropped her arm and took a step back. What else would she be? For goodness sake, he just burst into her bathroom and stood there gawking at her like a school boy.

He shoved his hands in his pockets to prevent himself from reaching out to her again. "Why didn't you answer?" he snapped.

"I didn't feel I had to. It's my house." She turned away, reached for another towel and wrapped it around her body. From behind, she didn't look pregnant. His eyes lowered to her butt and he fought the urge to test and see how firm her behind was. He was still looking when she turned back around.

"Take a picture, Mr. Richards, it lasts longer." She held her head high and walked by him to her bedroom, without so much as a second glance back.

He followed behind her and leaned against the door frame. "I'm not a pervert, Ms. Mitchell," he said, crossing his arms.

"Could have fooled me." She walked to her closet and pulled out a short sleeve, blue maternity dress.

The fact she thought of him as a pervert irked him. Sure, he stood there staring at her in the bathroom, but what else was he to do. She shocked him. He only did what any red-blooded male would have done.

"If you would have answered me, I wouldn't have barged in. I was worried about you," he reasoned.

"And that is your reason for drooling over me? Look, I don't need anyone worrying about me." Laryssa placed her dress on the bed and turned back to him. "Can I have some privacy, please?" She gestured toward the dress.