Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

James knew that Sarah spilling the glass of wine on Alice was not accidental. He also knew that Sarah wanted her alone so that she could stake her claim and James was not having that. Alice had only just opened up to him and he didn’t want Sarah ruining anything.

His feelings towards her had developed from fondness to real feelings now that Jacqueline had become Alice. He could see himself falling in love with her if she gave him a chance and with her confessions to him earlier in the week he knew she just might. He didn’t see women anymore. Only her. Before Alice he noticed them everywhere. He noticed their beautiful faces and enticing figures but now nothing. It was Alice.

But not if Sarah had her way.

Just as soon as they had left the room James followed them, receiving a coy yet excited smile from his mother. He paused by the staircase as he could heard their voices.

“I always knew James liked his whores but I didn’t know he brought them home to meet his family,” he heard Sarah say bitterly. James fumed. How dare she imply that Alice was anything but pure? Though she had taken part in the revolution, he could tell by her terrified voice as she spoke of the goings on that she was just as much of a victim as those that had been killed.

Just as he was about to interrupt their little interlude, Alice spoke. “I am no such thing,” Alice retorted. There was an edge to her voice that told James that she could hold her own. He remained where he stood and waited to see if Alice could defend herself. He didn’t like the kind of men who did everything for their wives and personally he wouldn’t like everything done for himself. He appreciated women who had a voice and right now he knew that Alice was the type of person who could bring Sarah down a notch.

“I don’t care for what your French girls call it, but in England you are a whore. We are engaged and you have no idea who you are dealing with if you get in the way of that,” Sarah threatened. James was taken aback at how dark she was being. He knew she had a domineering personality but how dare she speak to anyone like they were a stone in her shoe.

If Sarah dared hurt Alice in any way, verbal or otherwise, she would have him to deal with. He would not harm her physically, but he would ruin her reputation and that was what she held most dear.

James had had enough. He was going to intervene. He had no doubt that Alice could defend herself but he no longer wanted Sarah in his house or in his life. They were somewhere down the long hallway that was adjacent to the foyer. He made his way out from around the stairs and started toward the hallway to confront Sarah.

“There is nothing going on between James and I, Mademoiselle Smith,” Alice promised Sarah. It made James smile slightly. That would not be the case if he had his way.

“You bed him all you like after we’ve said ‘I do’ but not before. I won’t have anything stopping my wedding. I have money, what will it take to make you go away?”

That was just the thing to push Alice to the limits. Had he not learned that when he tried to give her money?  

“I suggest you take your money and buy yourself some class.”

James stopped in his tracks when he heard Alice’s intelligent remark. How clever she was and how perfect a comment she had made. He could not have said it better himself.

“I think I’ll take my leave now, Mademoiselle, it was a pleasure meeting you,” Alice said cynically. He could hear her footsteps heading back toward where he was standing. James turned around quickly and made his way back into the drawing room. He heard Alice’s footsteps just as he closed the door of the drawing room.