Chapter 9

"It's good news," the doctor says.

I squeeze Sam's hand to calm myself and he squeezes back for reassurance.

"What is it?" Sam asks.

"The cancer hadn't spread much so thankfully with radiation therapy we got rid of it. The biggest concern now is the child because your body is reacting well to the treatment. How the baby reacts is the real question."

I nod as I look over at Sam. He's half smiling, happy to hear that maybe I'll be okay but also upset because we're putting the baby at risk.

This was my fourth treatment. How the past few weeks have gone has been a miracle. Sam practically abandoned going to work therefore Daniel took charge. He stayed home with me almost trying not to break down for my sake.

Today was good though. Exactly the kind of news I wanted to hear. Well not exactly, but close enough.

We thank the doctor as Sam and I step outside waiting for the car to go home.

"You'll be okay," Sam says.

I frown. "Rick said it was really bad. The doctor told us it wasn't bad at all."

"It's bad if you're coughing blood."

I shake my head. "Once," I say quietly. "Only once."

It doesn't make sense. If I was bad enough to cough up blood then it can't be good but if I was really that sick then I'd cough it up more than once.

When the car stops in front of the front door, we head inside. The idea that something isn't right spins in my head.

When Sam heads upstairs, I turn for the emergency room where Rick is.

"My documents," I say.

This surprises Rick as he turns to face me. "What?"

"I'm not really that sick, am I?"

Rick shakes his head. "What are you talking about?"

"What did you give me?" I say quietly.

"What are you on about?" He says.

"Apparently I'm not that sick. In fact, four treatments and the cancer is gone. It might reappear the doctor said but it's gone."

He rushes to his cabinet and pulls out a document. He place it open and points at a particular section. "This has the details to the test I've done," he says. "It clearly says your in your last stage. This doesn't make sense."

I shake my head. "The cancer had just appeared, I was no where near bad. According to the doctor I shouldn't have even been coughing blood."

Rick scans the document. "I swear," he says in a panic. "I don't know what's gone wrong."

He freezes when he looks over to his desk. "Oh dear..."

"What's wrong?"

"The blood samples I took, one was open when I did the test. I assumed that I must've left the tube open but..."

"You're scaring me. But what?"

Rick grabs my hand. "I was pretty sure I closed them, in fact I remember seeing muddy footprints on the ground from the door to the blood samples."

I take a step back. "Are you telling me that someone broke in and messed with the blood samples and results."

He looks down. "That's exactly what I'm saying."

"But we have security and twenty bodyguards that guard the house," I say. "How could someone break in?"

He shakes his head. "No idea, but I think you should call Sam in."

I call Sam over and both Rick and I explain what we think has happened.

Sam storms off fuming. He calls all the guards and stops them to ask if anyone has noticed anything weird.

"I have," Joshua says. "I should've reported it earlier."

"What exactly have you seen?" Sam asks.

He points at another guard. "I saw him let someone in. They're were wearing a long black coat," he says. "When I tried stopping him, he said that you had asked for the guest. At first I was like okay but then I realised that you weren't home. When I questioned him, he kept brushing it off."

Sam walks over to the other guard. The one whose name I don't know. Joshua has been working for Sam since the start. He is one of the trusted ones so we do trust him. The other guy is new. Only had him since Sam found out I was pregnant and decided to get more guards for the extra safety measures.

"Who was it?" Sam asks. "I'll only ask once."

The guard looks around and then looks at me. His eyes almost piercing into me. I don't like the feeling.

Sam grabs his face and forces it in his direction. "You don't need to look elsewhere, especially at my wife."

"Sir please."

"I'm not asking again."

"A girl," he whispers.

He says it so quietly that even I have to force myself to listen carefully.

"What girl?" Sam asks.

"A blonde girl. The one that was living with you."

Sam looks at me. "Jess," he whispers.

Turning towards Joshua, his face extremely mad. "Find her and bring her to me."

He snaps his fingers at the other guards. "Have him sorted."

I cringe when the guard begs for forgiveness. "I needed the money," he shouts.

Sam grabs my hand and turns me around and back to the living room. "Thank god you're  okay. Doesn't explain the blood though?"

"Well if it is Jess and she's done all this then why do I have a feeling that maybe she's responsible for that too."

"How? I mean how do you make some one throw up blood?"

I shake my head. "No idea."

He hugs me. "I told you I won't let anything happen to you," he says. "Now that you're okay, it's time to make sure our baby is okay too."

I nod.

I grab the jug of water from the table and a shattering noise grabs our attention.

Oh no! Another vase.

Sam smiles. "I'm glad that happened. You know why?"

Why?" I ask.

He grabs the other vase off the table and smashes it against the ground. "Because after everything, a vase breaking is nothing. In fact it reminds me of the good times."

I smile back. "I'm glad you think vases breaking is entertaining because it's not funny for me," I say. "I mean, how do I stop?"

He laughs. "You don't. It's an addiction. You'll never stop."

I grab his hand. "I'm okay," I say as I jump up a few times.

"Careful," he says. "You've had a few treatments so you still need to rest it off."

I smile.

"What?" He asks.

"At least you didn't say 'stop jumping cause you're pregnant' because I don't think I could handle that."

"Don't give me ideas," he whispers in my ear as he kisses my neck.