Chapter Three: Choice

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” –Mathew 7:13-14

“There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” –Proverbs 14:12

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” -1 John 1:9

Arabella’s P.O.V.

Arabella lay shaking in her bed, tears streaming down her face as she heard the squeaking of a wood board. She wrapped herself farther into her covers, hoping her father or brother was going after more beer than her, and if they were after her again, she hoped the locked door would hold down, this time.

            The footsteps got closer and closer, becoming louder as it neared her door; her body lay frozen. The footsteps stopped in front of her door; she saw the shadow from outside, they were coming for her.

            Oh, please, please let the door hold, Arabella thought to herself thinking of hiding or even jumping out the window. It wasn’t a very high jump anyways, she was on the bottom level, but she didn’t know where she’d go. She couldn’t go to her friend’s houses because she was sure their parents would call her dad, and that would just lead to bigger trouble. Maybe she could go to the park…

            The door shock as someone tried to come in; it’s now or never, she thought slipping out of bed grabbing her sneakers and a sweatshirt to keep warm. She opened her window with a jerky movement, afraid the door would bust on open, when she was trying to sneak out. When the window was open completely, she slipped her one leg out, then the other and pushing herself down out of her room and onto the soft grass below her window.

            She glanced one last time through her open window, looking at her door, it still shock “Open up!” She heard her father yell at her. Hearing his voice she knew she had to get a way, so she ran; she didn’t know really where she was going, but she just ran it didn’t matter. She knew if she didn’t move fast, her dad would break in and see her open window.

            It was soon to be early in the morning that much she knew because the moon seemed to be going down and the sun seemed to have been starting to rise into the sky. When she felt like she was far enough away from her father she stopped running and began to breathe normal instead of feeling like she was on the run, like she had done something wrong.

            She was walking by the woods when she saw the clearing were the play ground was, slowly she walked up to it and climbed up into one of the tube funnels. Once inside she laid down in her normal ball she fell fast asleep into a dreamless slumber.

When she woke up the sun shown in her face; slipping through the small cracks of the funnel. The air was frigid as the cold fall air blew, whipping her hair into her face. About now would be the time she’d which she wore pants and had a hair tie. The pants to stay warm and the hair tie to keep her hair out of her face.

            But that didn’t matter, she was okay and unharmed because she escaped the fate of what would have come if she had stayed in her room. She shivered at the thought; she didn’t want to go back. However she had no money or clothes to change into. She could never last if she didn’t go back to the house.

            Although she could stall it for a while, she could stay over at one of her friends houses… Alright, she told herself, you’ll spend the weekend at your friend Zoe’s house. Zoe was the only one she could ever just come to with a problem like this and not ask questions. And no, Zoe didn’t know what happens when she was at her house, nor did anyone for that matter. She was ashamed of herself that she could be broken and trampled so effortlessly. As if she had nothing to prevent the actions. But the issue was she constantly had attempted to fight it, she just wasn’t strong enough.

            Arabella hoisted herself up off of the playground funnel, sensing her muscles stiffen and whimpered out in pain. Zoe’s house wasn’t too far away less than two miles. She could make it their within thirty minutes in her condition and will. She told herself climbing down of the platform and began on her journey.

            She embraced herself rubbing her arms up and down striving to create whatever heat to keep snug. Failing, the winds merely picked up momentum, rustling the tree leaf’s which whooshed in the wind. It was a peaceful sound, she thought passing a patch of massive sunflowers. Debating if she wanted to pick one, but then realized she didn’t want to have to fret about where to put the sunflower later. So she kept on walking.

When she came to a house with navy shutters and white siding she walked over into the side cautious so no one would notice her. It wouldn’t assist her case; her dad could uncover her with no problem being part of the police department.

            Once she came to the back window of the house she peeked up to see if Zoe was inside. She was, Arabella let out a sigh of relief and knocked on the window. Tap. Tap. The window uttered. Gradually Zoe raised herself out of bed and opened the window.

            “Yes?” She grumbled drowsily. Her short black stuck up in the back as if though she had a restless sleep.

            “Can I stay here until Monday?” She asked hopeful. Zoe was her only shot anyone else wouldn’t give a crap. She must have looked like a mess as she felt the wind tug at her hair once more.

            “Sure, fine. Come in,” Zoe said sliding the window completely open so she could scale on in.

            “One more thing,” She said turning towards Zoe, “You can’t tell anyone I’m here especially your parents. Okay?”

            “Whatever,” Zoe said knowing the routine opening her closet in which Arabella would hide. It was a nice sized closet about a fourth of her room at home, being a walk in. She smiled whispering a thanks and strolled into the closet.

**********************************************************************

Alright this is the first big change to the story, what do you think? Vote, comment, and fan!

-Kaiyla