Last Breath Part 2 of 2

A tall man wearing all black was tottering through the crowded boat, handing out sips of fresh water and slices of stale bread, pieces of rotting fruit. As he came closer Mia realized he was a Priest. The square of white on his collar stood out in the pitch black. He smiled kindly at Mia and her bundled child. She took his offering, drinking the water and tucking the food away.

There was little choice after Jack was gone. Mia packed a small backpack for Evan and a larger one for herself with food and water and a few items of clothing. Mia decided they would go down the fire escape rather than take their chances navigating the apartment building. She threw the backpacks out the window and they hit the ground with a hallow thud. Evan was still in and out, each time he woke up he howled in pain and fainted again. Mia knew his shoulder hurt terrible but honestly had no idea how to fix it without fear of causing permanent damage. She carried him down the rickety fire escape steps, her heart pounding and sweat pouring down her forehead into her eyes.

They traveled for hours, in no particular direction, ducking down side streets or behind buildings when ever Mia thought she heard suspicious noises. Eventually they came across a man and woman, sitting together on a bus stop bench, talking. Mia laughed despite herself, since the scene looked so normal it was downright hilarious. Surly a bus would be by any minute to drive them straight into the heart of zombie apocalypse. As she got closer she realized they were arguing, but they stopped when they saw her coming towards them. At first they looked alarmed, ready to flee, but the sight of a woman traveling alone with a hurt child gave them pause.

The man was not a doctor, but seemed confident he could pop the boy’s shoulder back into place and that once it was done he would feel much better. Mia had no choice but to trust the man and was glad she did once Evan was set right again, wide awake and eating a granola bar the man had pulled out of his jacket pocket. It turned out the couple were not married as Mia had first guessed, but were random strangers to each other as well, or at least they had been until they met up and started traveling together two days before.

“We’re heading to the harbor,” the man, whose name was Ryan, told her.

“What for? There is no travel in or out.” Mia had no better ideas but couldn’t imagine what good going to the harbor would do for them.

“Nothing legal, anyway,” Ryan answered. “We’ve gotten bits of information from other people we’ve seen that there is a group down at the harbor planing to embark by nightfall tomorrow.”

“Embark? To where?” Mia tried not to sound excited, it had to be a rumour.

“To a magical place where the the flu doesn’t exist, and the inhabitants will welcome us with open arms even if we are a hoard of hungry zombies when we arrive.” Megan, Ryan’s travel buddy, rolled her eyes and pulled out a crumpled pack of cigarettes. So that’s what they had been arguing about.

“Megan has a point, even if we get on a boat and sail away to a far off land, what are the chances they’re going to let us stay?” Evan tugged at Mia’s shirt. He was excited by the thought of getting on a boat.

“I’m guessing zero to none, and possibly a welcome wagon lynch mob armed with machine guns.” Megan took one drag off of the cigarette and threw it on the ground, stomping it out. “Shit, the kid, sorry.”

“Thanks,” Mia said to her with a weak smile. It seemed a little silly to be worried about second hand smoke right now although the thoughtful gesture was still appreciated.

“Well, it’s a chance I’m willing to take. You girls can stay here to get eaten, or worse, zombiefied.” Ryan picked up his heavy black duffel bag and started to walk down the street.