Chapter Six

Chapter Six

            “We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all of the power we need inside ourselves already.”

-J.K. Rowling

Nothing could ruin my good mood. I thought, grinning to myself. Humming good naturedly, while dancing with my broom, I swept the wooden floors. I felt like my smile would burst. Today was the day I would see Prince Christopher again.

My mother had checked up on me occasionally, probably suspicious about who knows what. She even sent Tresamaine to spy on me every half hour; I could practically feel her beady eyes boring into the back of my head while she watched me work. But they didn’t know. How could they know whom I wanted to see again? I was to see the prince again! And…he wanted to see me! My eyes flew to the grandfather clock every few seconds. The steady tick tock kept me on my toes as noon approached slowly.

Finally the clock struck twelve, and I ripped off my apron and tossed it onto my chair, leaning the broom against the cabinet as I rushed out the door with my basket.

“I’m heading to the market!” I called, ignoring the way my mother and sister stared at me with suspicion.

“Don’t forget the bread…” Was the last thing I heard before the door blocked their voices. I skipped to town with glee, swinging my basket in hand. I slowed down once I approached the center of the town market, after all I didn’t want to seem too eager. I ended up dodging kids and flying foods, waving occasionally when I heard my name but I didn’t stop to pay any attention to it, my eyes only on the Prince once he came into view.

He was already talking to someone when I got there, and I didn’t know what I was more surprised to see. Him with a guy instead of girl, since he was  very nice to look at, or the fact that his face was tinged pink. I shrugged, it was very hot out after all. I walked up behind with grinning subtly and tapped his shoulder.

“Fancy seeing you here.” I teased.

Christopher spun around and gave a startled laugh, “Oh I didn’t see you there…” The man he was talking to smiled at him one more time, and whispered something to him before he walked away.

“Who was that?” I wondered out loud.

Christopher just shook his head and put his hand on my head, smoothing out my hair, “He’s…just an old friend.”

I nodded and bit my lip, “Oh.” I cleared my throat, “So...how’s Cinderella?”

Stupid. Out of all the things you could have asked, why that? I groaned internally.

Chris smiled and leaned against the pole, “She’s doing great. She’s adapting to the palace life easier than I thought she would’ve. She’s got very nice etiquette, and she just loves dressing up in all the clothes and jewelry I buy her and…” He trailed off in a jumble that I didn’t really want to make sense of.

I sighed and grimaced, giving the polite nod or smile when appropriate. I really didn’t come here to just talk about Cinderella with him. Then why did you have to ask?

I cleared my throat, “That’s great. I’m glad…she’s enjoying everything.” I mumbled.

Christopher smiled and nodded, “Yes, we’re both really excited for the wedding.” He looked up over at the sky, “Wow it’s really getting late…I should probably get back.” He started backing up, “See you around Anastasia. How about tomorrow at the same time?”

 “Sure!” I waved until he vanished into the sunset and sighed. He didn’t even call me by Ana. And all he did was talk about Cinderella! I screamed out in frustration. Thankfully everyone had disappeared hours ago, so it was just me, myself, and I; and apparently Alex too.

“Upset much?”

I jumped up, my hand on my heart, “Dear lord! I didn’t- where did you…how did…what?”

Alex chuckled, “Hello to you too, Ana.”

I sighed, “Hello Alex.” I greeted plopping down on the ground upset.

He stared down at me and frowned, “What’s the matter?”

I shook my head, “Nothing, nothings wrong.” I smiled up at him convincingly, “I’m fine!”

Alex frowned, “No you aren’t.”

I shrugged, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Alright then…what do you want to talk about?”

I stood up and brushed myself off, “I should…probably go anyways. How about we talk another time, ok?”

“Sure…sure…” Alex murmured starting to walk away, “Goodbye then Ana.”

She was talking to the Prince. What could they be talking about? What could they possibly have in common? And why was he in disguise as a commoner too? He hates going into the ‘dirty town’. He even has his…playmates come up to his room.

“Are you even paying attention Alexander?”

My head snapped up, “I’m sorry what?”

Cinderella glared at me, “I asked how do I look?”

“Huh? Oh, very nice.” I mumbled. She had called me into to see how her wedding dress looked like on her. I don’t know why it mattered, if I wasn’t getting married to her.

“You didn’t even look!” She whined at me.

I sighed and looked up at her in her white ball gown dress. It was pretty and everything, and sparkled when the light hit it just right, but I really didn’t care. I gave her a handsome smile, “You look very beautiful, milady.”

Cinderella giggled, “Oh stop it!” She waved off the compliment, “You’re just exaggerating.”

I groaned inwardly, what did Chris even see in this girl in the first place? I bet he only chose her because then he’d get the throne.

“Where have you been?!” Tresamaine squawked at me when I walked through the door.

“I’m don’t answer to you.” I mumbled tiredly.

“Yes, but you answer to me.” My mother’s exaggerated voice told me.

“Hello mother.” I greeted sarcastically.

“Where have you been?” Regina asked again.

“Out.”

“Out. Where?” She asked slowly.

“The market.” I sat down on the wooden chair placing my basket next to me.

“Well why didn’t you get anything?”

“Um…well they didn’t have anything that we needed.” I stuttered.

My mother glared at me, trying to read my expression, “I don’t believe you.”

I stood up and walked to the staircase, “I’m going the bed.”

“No you aren’t young lady! Come back here!”

I sighed, “Goodnight!”

“ANASTASIA! GET BACK DOWN HERE NOW!” My sister squealed at me.

“Oh please.” I mumbled wincing at the high-pitched noise she made. I heard my mother whisper yell at her that she was in charge.

“Tresamaine, what have I told you….You aren’t the boss…leave it to me…”

I finally heard a submissive, “Yes mother.” Come from my sister, but I was already half way up the stairs and I was not going back down there.