Chapter 5

Chapter Five

            “If I were a magician, I’d hand out broken compasses. It’s all about misdirection. 
”

-Jarod Kintz

“ANASTASIA!” a shrill voice rung out.

            I shot up out of bed, my breathing shallow in surprise, “Mama?”

I crept out of bed and pulled on my clothes hurriedly as I ran down to the parlor. As I passed a mirror in one of the halls I got a quick look at myself. My pale skin shined like pearlescent, and my light blue eyes were rimmed with red, dark circles underneath making me look even more tired. Signs I had been crying with no sleep. I scowled.

At least Cinderella was happy now.

I padded into the kitchen, “Yes mother?” I asked.

My mother was sitting at the head of the dark wood dining table with my older sister, each with a plate and silverware in front of them.

My mother looked up with an unhappy scowl and dark, narrowed eyes, “Do you know what this?” She gestured in front of her.

“Um…a plate.” I said in a confused voice, trying to think why she would ask that.

“And what is on my plate?” My mother spat in a rough voice.

“Nothing, Mother.” I murmured.

“And why is there nothing on my plate?” She tilted her head at me.

“Because breakfast isn’t cooked yet…” I trailed off shifting uncomfortably.

She stood up, now looking down at me, “And why is that Anastasia?” Her scratchy voice bellowed.

“Because Cinderella isn’t here to cook breakfast…” I bit my lip.

She crossed her arms, “And why is that?”

“Because Prince Christopher took her to the castle to marry her.” I swallowed the lump in my throat.

“And whose fault is that?”

“Um…” I looked away before she cut me off.

“YOURS!” She bellowed, “She had YOUR other glass slipper, because YOU let her take it.”

No I didn’t. I thought to myself as she kept yelling at me.

“Now YOU will cook and clean and do as we say, because YOU let her. YOU are now a disgrace to this family.” She spat angrily.

My mother pushed back from the table, the wooden chair clattering to the floor, “I expect breakfast here on my plate in thirty minutes. No less and no more.” And with a final satisfied ‘humph’ that she got her point across, she walked off. My sister pranced behind her like a show horse, a smug smirk on her face.

She even had the nerve to wink at me. 

I stared into space for a moment as they left, mostly in shock. Cinderella had escaped this life, but there was no way out for me now. I sighed in defeat as I fixed the fallen chair, getting out some fruit to start with to cook breakfast.

All I could think of was how lucky I was to know how to cook and bake. I cut the fruits in a rhythm, as thoughts flew through my head.

Was it really worth it?

Cinderella was a good person- but so was I! She loved Christopher just as much as I did!

I sighed as I put the cut of strawberries, pineapple, grapes, and oranges into the bowl, then setting it on the table to start on the omelets.