The past will catch you as you run faster.

((This bit is dedicated to writexmusic for leaving me my first comment on this story.))

For ten years, ever since I had been turned, we moved from city to city, returning to Forks after most folks had forgotten about us.

We now lived in a small cottage in the heart of the woods. Here we could hunt in peace, live amongst nature without having to deal for mortals...humans much.

'I don't want to see them or this place again!' I had shrieked as Edward pulled me into his embrace. A tiny white coffin lowered our only child into the ground as the Cullens, the Swans and our friends lingered around us in a sea of black.

'Get me out of here, Edward!'

Just like that we left, the next day we were gone, speeding as fast as we could in the Volvo, away from Forks, away from the loss of our daughter.

We had spend a few months in Louisiana, yet the sour-dough taste of it began to give me nightmares. I would bolt awake, sometime before nightfall, and scream at the top of my lungs.

Next stop was Texas, but that too did nothing to settle my nerves. Edward was beside himself, offering help whenever he saw me at my wits' end, but after years of this I saw him turning into a hard man. Who could blame him? Our demons were slowly catching up with us, the fault of being a vampire, the curse in our blood was slowly changing us. I thought I would only have to go though one drastic change when I was turned from mortal to vampire, I was so wrong.

He would stay out, looking for pray, swearing it was just animals he would feast upon, but after a while I knew that that was no longer true. He had had a taste of my blood so many years ago and that sent his needs howling. He was a vampire, he could not live of some random racoon or rat forever, could he?

One night I woke up, unsettled by restless dreams, he had not been home for hours, night-time had come a while ago and I knew he was out, so I got dressed and began to prowl the streets for him.

At this point we were living in a small, forgotten souls town near Indiana, he was not too difficult to find.

In an alley, crouching near a fallen woman I heard his whispers  yet they made no sense at all.

I'm not sure if he saw me, he must have gone deaf and blind not to have. But Edward never said a thing.

A few nights later he told me that it would both do us good to stop running away from the pain and face it. So we moved back to Forks. Back to where it all had begun. But Forks was a hell a lot different now. Many folks had long since moved away, all of the Cullens had packed up and moved to the South of France, stating the 'sunshine and fresh air would do wonders', but I think they were just mocking me.

My dad had got shot in the hip and could no longer work, so mom and her husband told him he should move up closer to where they were living now and he did, just like that. He needed someone to take care of him now and I could not do it. After all, I could not take care of myself or my husband anymore.

It had been years since I had last seen someone familiar. Then I was face to face with Jacob and my past came crashing over me like a tidal wave.