Chapter One - Back-to-School Rally

Georgina Hartman was ignorant. She took ‘no’ for an answer, and even though we have been like sisters since third grade, she was, and probably will always be, insufferable.

Don’t get me wrong, I love her as much as a best friend could and should, but sometimes the temptation to stomp on her perfectly pedicured foot was too strong. However, although she is all of these things, i.e/ a brat, a bitch, snobby, sarcastic and rude…

She is also my bitch, my snob, my gossipy-insufferable “bestie”. She’s a beast when it comes to dealing with people who think it’s OK to call me a “nerd” and a “prude”, in fact, Georgina is my body guard, if you’d like. Georgina Hartman is my annoying-bitchy-hilariously-insane-best friend/companion. And that’s how and why I survive Harper-Bay High school. Home of the Bayford Soccer team, Cheer-Leapers, and some of the wealthiest teenagers you will ever meet in your life.

Everyone was buzzing. Music was blaring through the announcement speakers and students and teachers were chatting animatedly about their summer scandals and drunken antics. I stayed put to one side, God-forbid I tried walking down the halls safely, for I would become French toast. The entire soccer team came hurdling through the halls, cat-calling and shouting like a couple of banshee’s on crack! Cheerleaders were skipping through the hall, not far behind, arms in the air, supporting the painfully bright banners they had been working on for the Back-To-School Rally.

Back-To-School Rally.

What’s wrong about this? WHAT’S NOT WRONG ABOUT THIS?!

We’re celebrating that fact that we’re back to school after a six-weeks full of home-work free bliss. Why would coming back to school be a celebration?

Georgina agreed with me…I think. She didn’t really say much on the matter, apart from some feverish words about seeing Clinton again. I think that’s the only reason she always attended the Game at the start of the year. Clinton was a whole 6’2”, twelve stone’s full of muscle…and douche bag. He spoke like an angry giant 24/7, and stomped around school like a boulder, with only “DESTRUCT” in his programming. What Georgina found sexy about him was beyond me. His muscle’s- muscle’s had muscles. And I’m sure it was a little more than “gym” that was helping him to achieve his lifelong dream of becoming a building.

“You coming, Violet?”

Georgina grabbed my elbow, pulling me along before I had the option to answer her question with a very desperate ‘no’.

“I guess so,” I mumbled as she dragged me along to the field and up the bleachers, and before you know it, or me- for that matter, she’s shoving one end of her giant poster-banner thing in my hand and yelling for Clinton to ‘beat that motherfucker down’.

Just one more year and it would be over.

Just one more year and I’ll be free.