Part 25

"I was there because I was meeting someone for lunch," Aidan stated.

"Caitlin?" Michael prompted.

Aidan looked annoyed. "No. I didn't know she was there. I was waiting for her in the food court at the bottom of the Hell Corporation building and my phone rang."

"And?"

"Well, I answered it, of course." Aidan gave Michael a suspicious look. "Wouldn't you?"

Michael wanted to shake the man, but he restrained himself. From what he remembered, IRA members were trained in hand-to-hand combat. Specifically, one-punch knock-outs. He didn't fancy being knocked out by this doctor, and then revived by him in the Emergency Department later.

Aidan gave up waiting for a reply. "She said she was running a little late, as she'd somehow ended up with a dud lift and they were stuck, just after the third floor."

"Who?" Michael asked, certain he'd missed something.

"Althea. Didn't I tell you this already?"

"You mean your wife?" Michael blurted out.

Aidan looked sheepish. "Ah, yes, Althea, my wife." He coughed. "We've only been married for a few weeks and it's all quite new to me."

"But February? She rang you in February?" Michael prompted.

"Yes. Yes, she did. I asked her if she was okay and she assured me she was. Just a bit hot, because the air conditioning was broken that day. Bloody hot day for the air conditioning to be broken, and then the lifts too!" Aidan paused. "So I asked her if she'd like me to order lunch or a drink for her while I was waiting. Before she could answer, I heard another woman scream, 'She's falling!' and then the phone went dead."

Aidan shuddered.

Michael waited a moment, but the doctor didn't continue. "So what did you do then?"

 Aidan stared at him. "What would you do? I panicked, of course!"