Remember

Richard awoke early that morning. He gazed out the window and the bright England sun shown down on him. He rolled lazily over and looked at the calendar that hung on his wall. Richard’s eyes went wide as he walked over to it and read the date. “5th of November, 2405.” he whispered. Richard paced back and forth in his lonely room. It was today, how could he forget today! The first time in a long time that will be able to see Victoria. His beloved Victoria. The woman from London who stole his heart almost 25 years ago. That bright summer morning, as he walked his daily route to work. A beautiful woman blocked his path and the two were instantly enchanted with each other. The rest is history, as they say, for the two married a few months later.

He was pulled from his thoughts as a man who worked in the building came in and said, “Mr. Fawkes, it's time for breakfast.” Richard nodded and allowed the man to accompany him down the hallway to the dining area. After receiving his breakfast, Richard made his way to the place where he and his friend, John, sat everyday. “Oi, Richard! Today's the day, eh? You get to see Tori again. How long has it been?” said his friend as he took his seat. “Twenty years, mate. I haven't seen Victoria in Twenty years.” Richard was again lost in thought until John snapped his fingers at him. “She'll be glad to see you. I'm sure she misses you very much.” John gave his friend a warm smile. He knew exactly why Richard didn't seem too happy, but decided not to spoil this day for him anymore.
“Mr. Fawkes, you need to return to your room now. Your wife will be here shortly.” Richard’s faces lit up. He hurried to dispose of his tray and return to his room with the man's assistance. As he sat waiting in his room, the news came on the television. He never usually watch television, but he found it makes him more comfortable to have background noise. It distracts him from the war raging in his own mind. The quiet just makes it worse. He watched as the news lady flashed on screen.

“In today's news, a twenty year old terrorist attack is finally seeing payment where it is due. The perpetrator of the attack on parliament 20 years ago is being taken from death row today to be hung for his crimes. Since the return of the death penalty in 2278, he will be the first man in England to die by penalty of death since 1964. Reports from the day of the crime say that the perpetrator broke into the passages beneath the Parliament building with the intention of setting of explosives of various sorts. Upon his arrest, the man was taken from the scene of the crime, screaming ‘Remember, Remember! The fifth of November!’ He has since stated that he intended to finish what Guy Fawkes, an English terrorist from 1605, started.”

Richard sat waiting and waiting. It seemed like ages until Victoria would be there, until he could hold her again. After what seemed like years, there came a knock at the door. In stepped the most beautiful woman you'd ever have the pleasure of seeing. “Victoria!” Richard exclaimed, lifting up the woman in his arms and twirling her around. Victoria clung to Richard’s shirt. “I've missed you so much, love.” she whispered, staining his shirt with tears of pure joy.
The two sat for what seemed like ages in each other's embrace, until a man came to his door and said, “Ma'am, it's time for you to go.” Victoria latched onto Richard’s arm and refused. Eventually she was dragged from the room, kicking and screaming. Richard broke down in tears. ‘This is really happening. I'm not dreaming. It's really REALLY happening!’ He thought to himself. “Sir, it's time.” said the man. Richard nodded and was escorted down the hallway. He was taken to a large, empty room with one-way glass on the far wall. In the middle of the room, a trap door and a rope.

Richard was lead to the middle of the room, and as the noose was placed around his neck, the presiding official said, “Five November, 2405. The execution and last words of prisoner #041370, Richard Fawkes. Terrorist and last known descendant of Guy Fawkes, the man famous for the attack on Parliament in 1605, almost 800 years ago. The charges against Mr. Fawkes are attempted terrorism and treason against the British Government. Do you have any last words, Mr. Fawkes?”

Richard stared into his reflection in the one way glass. A single solitary tear rolled down his cheek. “Victoria, don't forget me. A man can die and be forgotten, but what I have engraved in the minds of every citizen of the country is an idea. Ideas are not so easily forgotten. A man can be shot, hung, drowned, anything. But ideas…” he paused. “Ideas are bulletproof. In the words of my many times great grandfather. ‘Remember, Remember! The fifth of November! The gunpowder, treason , and plot! I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!”

As he finished, the room went deafeningly quiet. Everyone on the other side of the glass sat in astonished silence. Everyone but Victoria, who wailed for her love. “You will never be forgotten…” she said, as the trapdoor vanished from beneath Richard’s feet.