The Ancient Guardians (Chapter 8)

THE ANCIENT GUARDIANS

Chapter 8

I began to get tired of waiting after two hours. I opened my eyes and noticed that the place where I was sitting since then, which was a bit crowded at first but close to the fire, was now also crowded but two meters behind me and I was oddly sitting closest to the bonfire. I should’ve thought that it’d get too hot for others after a while. I got up and stepped back. We were supposed to pass each other the detecting rock every hour or so, so now Clint must’ve given it to William a while ago and it was close to my turn. I walked a little further from the fire, feeling the aura diminish. I assumed I could feel the presence any fire in the vicinity. Just then I saw my brother farther away from the crowd, looking for me. I waved at him so that he’d see where I was and he came over, accidentally stepping on someone lying on the ground.

            “Sorry.” He said as the person grunted. “Hey buddy, nice sunglasses, where’d you get them?”

            “Very funny.” I answered. “You sure took your time getting here; it’s been hours!”

            “What do you mean? Ryan just told me five minutes ago.”

            Looks like Ryan’s definition of ‘Right now!’ wasn’t very accurate. “Anyway, why were you looking for me?”

            “Can’t a guy just come see his brother and his bare feet anymore?” He told me.

            I looked at him quizzically.

            “Oh alright. I’m kidding. I was looking for you because I met a couple young girls by the volley-ball court and I told them a little about you and, basically, they want to meet you.”

            “You’re making me meet girls now? This isn’t a good time if you haven’t noticed yet.”

            “Come on, bro. They’re really hot and, who knows, you might get lucky tonight.”

            “Joe, any girl I get lucky with will get her insides burned.”

            “Well, you’re a little confident about your abilities for a virgin.”

            “Shh! Not so loud, you idiot.” Let’s just say I’m not too proud of being a virgin.

            “Oh, sorry. Brotherhood confidentiality and all that. Now come on fire-boy; they’ve been waiting for a while.” He said as he grabbed my arm and pulled me.

            I decided to stop whining and follow him. Luckily he grabbed the sleeve over the sleeve of the fire-proof tunic so his hand didn’t get burned. The volley-ball court was at the edge of William’s area, so it was going to be easier for him to give me the rock. We passed in front of the house, towards the other side. The music that was originating from the house was now at its loudest to us. I suddenly noticed that right beside the entrance there were small gardens, with grass surrounding them. Joe was still leading me by the arm and pulling me to it. I tried to say: “NO! Not the grass! Go around the grass!” and started trying to pull away.

            Jonathan continued to pull me even with my resisting. “WHAT?!” he answered.

            There was no helping it, I stepped on the grass. One step, two steps, three steps and I had passed it. I looked back to see if there was any damage. Indeed, there were three foot-shaped spots of dead grass behind us. Hoping nobody would notice, I continued following my brother.