The Ancient Guardians (Chapter 6)

THE ANCIENT GUARDIANS

Chapter 6

So we went on with this process. Will and I both had our hair cut short by Clint. When he cut William's hair something weird happened. Instead of his hair falling to the floor, it floated in the air and after a few moments, vanished.

                "My hair turns to sand." Clint said. "What a mess it was when I first tried it."

                Turns out my hair caught on fire and turned to ash. When Clint cut the first strands it surprised him and he quickly uninstalled the smoke detector. After we were done with that I called my brother and asked him to bring us two hoodies and some baggy pants.

                "How am I bringing them to you?" he asked.

                "Uh, hold on." I hadn't thought of that. "CLINT!"

                "What is it?" Clint answered.

                "Can my brother bring our stuff here?"

                "Sure, we're going to leave soon anyway."

                "Thanks." And I went back to my brother on the phone. "You can bring them here, to Clint's apartment."

                "Alright."

                And as I was giving him the address I thought of something. "And bring our cell-phones too, we're going to need them."

                "See you in a bit." He said.

                I hung up the phone and Clint came in. "I'm going out to buy you two some wigs." He told me. "I'll be back in half an hour."

                A few minutes later my brother came knocking. I opened the door and he gave me the clothes. "Here you go. What happened to your cool hair?" Just then William came at door to see who it was. Joe looked at him and said: "Hey, that must be little William. How're you? Feel like a breeze?" He chuckled a little at his own joke and Will looked at him funny.

                Then he turned his gaze on me and said: "He's just like you..."

                "I still need the cell-phones." I told Joe.

                "Do I really have to lend you mine too?" he said while giving it to me reluctantly.

                "Yeah, Clint doesn't have one. Don't worry, I'll give it back before I leave."

                "Okay...I'll see you at the party then."

                And with that he left. It felt good to have my brother back in my life, even if it's just by a thread. When Clint came back we prepared everything we needed for the party, and for those who it might surprise, we seemed pretty organized. We planned to keep patrols around separate perimeters of the house and communicate with a network of text-messaging. You could tell that Clint wasn't the technological type, especially when I tried to text him and he jumped in surprise and tried to figure out how to flip it open. There's also the part where he said: "What's this?" while pointing at the digital clock on the phone. But those are just details. The wigs Clint had bought us looked pretty much like our old hairstyles. When I put on mine my hands brushed against my ears and I tensed in surprise; I still wasn't used to them being pointy. I felt them up again. I felt like I was an elf or something. I shared my thoughts with Clint: "These ears make us look like elves."

                "Of course they do." He said. "They did get the idea from me in the first place."

                "What? How?"

                "Don't forget that I didn't only see the last 150 years. People have also seen ME for 150 years. The idea for pointy-eared elves came from someone who saw mine. I never found out who though."

                Then William came in with his wig on, not looking very comfortable with it. He kept whining it was itchy. "By the way, how ARE we going to tell the last Guardian apart from everyone else?" he asked Clint.

                "Well I still have the detecting rock for that." Clint answered.

                "Won't it detect US instead?" I said. I remembered that rock from two days ago. If I hadn't become a Guardian I'm sure my hand would still be seared red.

                "This detecting rock only detects the dormant ability to have them. It doesn't have any effect for you anymore." Clint told us while showing us the seemingly normal rock.

                "How much range does it have?" William continued.

                "Around 4 or 5 feet. We'll each take turns holding on to it during the party."

                "Okay, if anyone finds her just text the others." I said.

                "Oh, while we're on that subject, how do I send one again?" Clint asked me, looking confused.

                I had to show him again for the fifth time. He kept saying: "I still find telegrams a lot simpler." I was starting to wonder if he could really learn it before it was time to go to the party.