Chapter 6

I walked down Main Street like I did every day to go to my office. The sky was overcast, like usual. Granny and Ruby were setting up the sign with today's specials in front of the door: chicken noodle soup and a BLT for lunch, and meatloaf with green beans for dinner. Clearly, I wasn't going to be eating at Granny's today.

I felt my mind wander to Emma as I made my way down the familiar road: her smile, her voice, her touch. Then I thought about Robin, and the way he held me the night before. I kept flipping between the two until I broke out of my reverie and realized that I had stopped in front of Archie's office building. My eyes drifted up to the gold address numbers and around the green door frame until they rested on the faded brass doorknob.

Before I fully registered what I was doing, my hand reached out and twisted the doorknob, and I started walking in the door, up the stairs, to Archie's office. I was about to knock when I stopped. I stared at the name engraved in gold on the door: Dr. Archibald Hopper. What was I doing? I didn't need a psychiatrist, I needed to call Emma. I already knew what I had to do. I turned around, but before I had made a step I heard the door open behind me.

"Regina!" Archie exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I was just..." I faltered. "I was just leaving."

He didn't buy it. "Regina, if you have something on your mind, you can talk to me," he said. "It might give you some peace of mind."

I hesitated. Maybe he was right. I thought I knew what to do, but there was something tugging at me, demanding my attention, but I couldn't see it. I needed help...and maybe Archie could help me.

I walked past Archie before I could change my mind and sat on the worn green couch. Archie, however, closed the door and walked leisurely to his desk. He slowly gathered his things: a notepad, a pencil, and a brand new folder. Then he sat down in his armchair, and wrote Regina on the folder. Finally, he looked up at me, and asked, "So, what's on your mind, Regina?"

So I told him everything: how I moved in with Robin, how Emma refused Hook, even the kiss. I was hesitant at first, but as I kept talking I became more comfortable, and spoke with more confidence. When I finished, Archie didn't do anything. He didn't talk, he didn't look at me with a judgmental scowl; he just looked at the floor, deep in thought.

Finally, he spoke. "This is quite the predicament." He was quiet for a few more seconds before he started asking questions. "How do you feel when you are around Robin?"

I thought for a moment. "I feel happy, content; I feel like I belong, at home in the world."

He nodded and wrote something on his clipboard. "And with Emma?"

I expected this question, but I still felt like I was caught off guard. How did I feel? "I feel...I feel alive. I feel like I can say anything, or do anything with her. She understands me in a way no one else in this town does. I can tell her anything. With her I feel free to be myself."

He nodded and scrawled something else on his notepad. "That's very interesting," he mumbled. After he was finished, he put the notepad on the floor next to him, rested his elbows on his knees, and looked up at me. "It seems to me like you have a very difficult choice: you can either stay with the man who makes you feel at home, or explore a new relationship with the woman who makes you feel free. Have you ever had romantic feelings towards a woman before?"

I shook my head.

"Well, this means that you are in completely new territory. What do you think you should do?"

"My head tells me that I should stop this before it goes any further; I have a life with Robin, and this would probably devastate both him and Roland."

He nodded; he did that a lot. "And your heart?"

I shook my head. "I don't know."

"Well, my advice would be to find out as quickly as possible, and to listen to your heart. However, if you believe that it is best to stop this, you had best to it sooner rather than later; if you wait to long, there could be serious consequences."

I nodded. "Thank you Doctor Hopper. I think I know what to do now."

"Any time, Regina," standing up and reaching out to shake my hand. "Remember, if you ever need to talk, my door is always open...from 7 to 11." He winked. I chuckled at his bad attempt at humor, and waved on my way out of the door. Archie really was a good guy.

I wasted no time. Archie was right: the sooner I talked to Emma, the better. I took out my phone and found Emma in my contacts. Anxiously, I waited while the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Emma? I was wondering if you could meet me at my office tonight; we need to talk."

"Sure. When do you want me to get there?"