Chapter 2

I waited anxiously at the table, checking the clock on the wall again. She was only five minutes late, but every minute felt like an eternity. I heard the door open behind me and turned to look. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Sorry I'm late!" said Emma. "I had to get Henry to the docks."

"Spending some quality time with Killian?" I asked.

"Yeah," she replied. "He's teaching him how to steer the ship. Henry can't stop talking about it."

"Well, it's good that Henry is getting to have some more guy time, but..."

"I know what you think of Killian, Emma interrupted me, "but you don't have to worry; he is very aware of the rules."

"No rum?"

"Yep."

"Home by seven?"

"Yep."

"No girls?"

"Regina, he'll be fine," Emma reassured me.

"Alright...I trust you," I allowed.
We sat there for a moment in silence. Then I saw the corners of Emma's lips twitch and curl upwards, and I lost it. We started laughing, and we couldn't seem to stop. I would start to pull myself together, but then I would look at Emma's face, still scrunched up with laughter, and laugh even harder. I laughed so had I almost fell off of my chair. Emma was not as quick, and her rear hit the floor with a thump, which only made us laugh more. I'm not sure exactly what was so funny, but by the end of it we are both wiping tears from our eyes.

We finally got our food. I got a healthy ham sandwich with a side salad, while Emma eagerly dived into her grilled cheese and onion rings.

I chuckled. "Emma, you really do eat like a child. Would it kill you to eat a salad or something a little more adult?"

"Life is too short to waste it on salads," she replied through a cheesy mouthful. I had to laugh. She really did look like a child, with cheese & crumbs all around her lips.

We are in silence for a bit. It wasn't awkward, just pleasant. The raspberry vinaigrette on my salad was absolutely delightful, and I can only assume that she enjoyed her lunch, since she was all but shoving it in her face by the fistful. We finished at about the same time; I had given up after eating most of my salad and half of my sandwich, while Emma had all but licked the plate clean.

"So," said Emma after she wiped the crumbs from the corner of her mouth, "how's the move coming along?"

"Good," I said. "Roland is really excited. He didn't want to go to school today because he wanted to set up his room."

"Is he taking Henry's room?" She asked.

"No, he's taking the spare room upstairs. You know, the one that used to be a playroom?"

"Oh, yeah. Why are you getting rid of it?"

"Well, we already have a huge backyard, and Roland would always rather be outside, so it doesn't really make sense to keep it. Also, I want to make sure that Henry always has a place to go, just in case. "

Emma nodded. "That's good." Then she looked at me more seriously, and put her hand on top of mine. "I'm really happy for you, Regina," she said, smiling at me. "You deserve your happy ending."

I smiled back at her, and turned my hand so that if was holding hers. "Thank you."

We sat there like that for a moment, until Emma liked up at the clock.
"Oh, damn!" she said. "I gotta go. My lunch ended five minutes ago!"

"You know, since the curse is broken, you going to work is really just a formality..." I suggested playfully.

"Ha! That's funny!" Emma said sarcastically. "Have you been living under a rock since the first curse broke? It's a wonder I even get lunch."

"I know. Well, you go on ahead; I'll get the check."

"Fine...but I've got the next one."

"Noted."

Then she stood, grabbed her red leather jacket from the back of her chair, and all but sprinted out of Granny's. I asked Ruby for the check. When she came back, she was giving me a strange look.

"What?" I asked.

She just shrugged. "Nothing." Then she walked away, but turned to look at me one more time before going back into the kitchen. I shook my head. Whatever was up with Ruby, it wasn't any of my business. Anyways, I had to go home. I had to decide what to wear for tonight...