Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“Hello?” I called out when I walked into the condo. I was greeted with silence and I breathed a sigh of relief, needing some time alone.

I was an emotional wreck. I sat down on the couch, shaking as I tried to stop replaying the conversation with my mother over and over again in my head. I shuddered when I thought about how she’d finally said I love you to me and how it had sounded so wrong.

Tears began to course down my cheeks and I sat there silently crying for a long time. My hand was still tingling lightly from when I’d slapped Catherine but I wasn’t shedding any tears for her. I couldn’t find it in me to regret that one at all.

“Are you all right?”

I whipped my head up to see Liam standing at the mouth of the hallway, staring at me with a concerned look on his face.

“Jesus, you scared me,” I said putting one hand to my chest to calm my racing heart and the other one to my face to hastily wipe away my tears.

“Sorry, I was just going to get some water when I spotted you there. Didn’t mean to scare you.” He gave me a reassuring smile as he moved closer to me. “Can I sit down?” I shrugged and he lowered himself onto the couch beside me.

“Is Henry here?” I asked.

“Henry had to go back to London very suddenly.”

“What?” I twisted my head to face him.

Liam nodded. “There’s a business merger in the works for TBC and there was a major breakthrough this morning. Henry had to catch the first plane back. He told me to tell you goodbye for now and that he would be back to visit as soon as possible.”

“Oh,” I said, facing forward once more and feeling melancholy all of a sudden. It would’ve been nice to have my grandfather around for a bit longer. I’d only just met him and now he was gone for who knew how long. “Wait, what about you?” I asked, the thought suddenly occurring to me. If my grandfather was gone then why was Liam still here?

“He asked me to stick around for a while,” he shrugged.

“Here?” I screeched, my voice about eight octaves higher than normal.

He gave a low chuckle and patted me lightly on the shoulder. “No. There’s an empty apartment on the sixth floor that I’ll be staying in for the time being.” His eyes turned teasing as he took in my panicked expression. “Why, are you afraid something might happen if I stayed here?”

My eyes widened at his suggestion and I jumped off the couch, pulling nervously at the hem of my shirt. “Of course not,” I said, cringing when my voice came out a bit shakier than I’d intended. I cleared my throat. “Don’t be ridiculous, you’re much older than me and I’m sure you wouldn’t do anything to interfere with your career.”

He stood up and moved towards me making me back up a step.

“I’m not really that much older than you,” he said quietly as he continued his approach, his hazel eyes burning into mine.

“What are you doing?” I asked, planting my feet firmly and holding a hand out to stop him from advancing on me anymore.

“This,” he said before pushing my hand aside and taking one large step until he was pressed against me. I didn’t realize we’d been so close to the wall but suddenly my back was flush to it and Liam’s hands were on either side of my head as he leaned close to me. “You’re beautiful Evelyn.” He voice was low and I heard the desire in it, sending a shudder of revulsion through me.