In an Instant

I woke up to, “Avan, wake up now!!!“, which put me in a bad mood. It was Saturday and my parents woke me up to tell me that I had to pack my things and get ready to move. It was the worst news I had received since my dog, Max passed away. I grabbed the boxes that they threw on my bed and started picking up my stuff. I figured there was no sense in arguing with them because eventually I would end up doing the wok anyway. I was more upset that I had to pack on the last day that I could hangout with my friends. I couldn’t do anything except look at my bedroom and memories slowly fade away in front of me. The one thing that probably pissed me off was the fact that my parents didn’t even warn me that we were going to move.

I started thinking about where we were actually going to move to. I’d have to meet a whole school of new people that I didn’t even know and I had to find new friends. I also started to think about the major reason I didn’t want to move. About two months ago I met a girl named Jade. We met in my home economics class and she ended up being my partner. I was terrible at cooking, but she didn’t mind. Jade mostly did all the cooking and the work because I couldn’t do it to save my life. She was always nice to me too.

I finally got finished packing my room up and it was 6:30p.m. I asked my parents if I could go say bye to everyone and they didn’t mind. I had about nine friends that I wanted to say bye to, but I figured six of them would have been either busy or I would be satisfied just texting or calling them to say goodbye. I didn’t really talk to a lot of them anyways, except in school.

I went over my best friend Alex’s house. I told him that I was leaving and he was so upset. I’ve known him since the 1st grade and I considered him a brother to me. I old him that I would come over and stay with him when schools out for summer vacation.

After I told him that, he wasn’t as upset as before. As a matter of fact that made him smile in relief a little bit. I tried to hurry and say goodbye because I had two more places I had two more places I had to stop at. I told Alex I’d talk to him later. He gave me what me and him call a “bro hug” and then we said bye.

The next place I wanted to stop at was my friend Justin’s house. Justin was one of the finniest people I have ever met. He could make anyone smile no matter what. I met Justin when I moved from the middle school to the high school. I was a freshmen and a sophomore started something with me. He tried to hit me; I caught his fist; and slammed my locker shut on it. His sophomore buddies started to team up on me and Justin helped me out. Justin is funny and all but he’s strong too.

When I finally got to his house, his little brother answered the door. He kicked me in the knee. On a normal day I would probably have chased him around and messed with him a little, but I wasn’t really in the mood. Justin came to the door and he knew that he wasn’t about to hear good news by the look on my face. I told him about the moving situation and he looked as if he was about o cry. I wouldn’t blame him, hell I was about to too. We sort of laughed it off and I told him about the summer thing and then I said bye.

I was really starting to get upset. It was like every step I took, was another step closer to breaking down. I made it to Jade’s house at 8:30p.m. I knew this was going to be the hardest goodbye, so I a second before knocking on the door. I heard giggling and I was a little curious. I went to the side of the house and peeked in the window. I saw Jade with Jordan. Jordan was a kid that I could stand in high school. Then, I saw them kiss. You ever feel like everything in your life is crumbling down and you’re left with nothing but hopelessness? Well, that’s what this felt like, my heart just tore apart and I didn’t know what to do. I had a choice, I could walk away or I could go inside and tear that Jordan kid apart. Lets just say I am not very good at making the right choices. I went inside the house and ran into the room, dragged Jordan to the ground and continued to hit him. I did not hesitate. I did not resist. I did not let up. Jade’s father lifted off of him and pinned me up against the wall.

He had us all sit down in the living room. Jade’s father was so angry at us. Jade’s mother looked worried and concerned. Jordan was covered in blood and some bruises. Jade was in tears and as angry as I was, I felt so bad.

Jades father asked me what the hell I was doing. I told him that I was here to say goodbye to Jade and then I saw Jordan with her. He told me that the cops wouldn’t be called because he didn’t even know that Jordan was here kissing his daughter, so he wasn’t that upset at me. He also couldn’t call the cops because Jordan had a warrant out for his arrest, so we all made a compromise. I was so relieved. I told Jade how sorry I was, but I was still angry at her. She kissed me but goodbye, but it meant nothing to me because of what she did.

I went home and it was 10:00p.m. My parents were mad at me for being out so late, but I just shrugged them off and went to bed. I was so tired, I almost fell down the stairs. The very second that my head hit the pillow I fell asleep.

My parents woke me up and I was so depressed. The moving trucks were loaded and they had me out the door. We were on our way to the suburbs outside Sacramento, California. I was upset that I didn’t even know where I was going until I was I was in the car. My parents told me they wanted it to be a surprise.

It took three days until we finally made it to the house. The house was larger than our old one and the neighborhood looked a lot nicer, but that didn’t change the fact that I didn’t want to be here at all. I met my neighbors on the left of us. They are a married couple and had very big dog. They were nice, but I am not the social type. I usually don’t talk until I get to know a person. The neighbors on the right weren’t home. I saw a middle age man across the street, just looking at us. He was creepy looking but I just ignored him.

The next day I had my first day of school. I met a kid named Dane, he was pretty cool and I guess you could say he was my first new friend. He was funny too, he reminded me of Justin. The school day just dragged on and it felt like I was being tortured by time. The classes were ten times as boring as my other classes, but that was probably just because I didn’t know anyone.

When I finally got home I took a small nap. It was a incredibly long day. I woke up at around 5:30p.m. I went out front and the neighbors with the dog let me play catch with it. I really had nothing better to do. I threw the ball and it went over the bushes to my other neighbors yard. I went to go get the ball and a girl came out of the house and told me to toss her the ball. She was very pretty and looked around my age, but I didn’t see her at school, probably because I wasn’t actually looking. She through the ball like a softball player would, it flew over the street and into the creepy man’s window.

I asked her what her name was and she said it was Alissa. I told her we should go get that ball, she agreed. We went to the guy’s house and knocked on the door. He was so weird, but he gave us the ball and he wasn’t that upset. We went back to my house and talked. She told me that the creepy man actually had dementia and was harmless. Within a week me and Dane became close friends. Within a month Alissa and me were dating…

There I was, sitting in the driver’s seat of my car, my wife Alissa next to me and my two young children, Jake and Kaitlyn in the back seat. That semi-truck was no more that two feet from splitting this car in half right in the middle of the intersection. I really thought we we’re going to die right there. Have you ever seen your life flash before your eyes… I have.