Chapter 14 - Assembly of Judgement

Chapter 14
Assembly of Judgement

A/N - Sorry about the delayed update! I took a weekend to myself, went on a mini-vaction and saw Panic! At the Disco yesterday. (Which was AMAZING by the way. I'm currently crushing hard on Brendon Urie once again :P) Anyway, that's why I didn't have the chance to update. I don't think daily updates will be happening like they were before. For those who asked about it, it was only because I had some written before I decided to post Bullet on here. But my updates will be quite frequent :) Thanks for the support lovelies!

Somehow I had managed to get through the first two days back at school, but just by the skin of my teeth. The stares hadn’t faltered and the whispers always seemed so loud as I walked down the hall. People weren’t even trying to hide the fact that they were blatantly talking about me. Sometimes they would even point directly at me when I walked towards them on my way to class. 

The whole thing was quite ridiculous, if you asked me. 

Just because I was related to a boy who made his mistakes didn’t mean that I was suddenly the runner up. He and I were far different from one another and I surely didn’t plan on committing his actions in my lifetime. 

But today was going to get a bit better because Grayson was going to be by my side. While his walk was slightly crippled by his massive crutches and he wasn’t the happiest about finally being on his feet once again, it still felt good to have him walking along side me as I took on the eyes and the gestures. It was almost like Grayson was my armor for the day, shielding me from any further damage that they all dished out. 

So when we finally made it through the double doors, everyone ready to deal out my well overdue punishments, my breathing wasn’t as harsh with him by my side. He was a lot slower than I was, hopping on one foot and leaning forward to throw his body with each swing just to get down the hall. They school had given him an elevator pass considering his handicap, which meant we’d have to part ways sooner than I would have liked. 

“Wow…” he gasped. “You really weren’t kidding.”

I watched as he glanced all around the halls, pausing in his movements. He was taking everyone in; casting angry looks towards some of the girls who wouldn’t stop looking at me like Santa Claus had just appeared. When I looked down to the place where his hand rested on his crutches, his knuckles were turning white as he gripped it forcefully. 

I scoffed. “This is nothing. You should see how it is in class.”

As I paced myself to stay next to him, he gave me a surprised side glance. “You mean it’s worse than this?” he gestured around us with a crutch. 

“The teachers are somehow under the assumption that I’m stuck in his deep depression because my brother did what he did. They keep treating me like I’m going to just implode in the middle of class or something,” I waved it off as we continued our walk. 

He shook his head, some of his dark locks fraying and falling into his eyes. I had the strong impulse to just reach over and push them back out of his view, but clenched my fingers in a small fist instead. 

In the past two weeks that I had gotten to know Grayson, the feelings that were brewing in my heart were becoming faster and more intense than anything I was used to. I had dated casually before, all of which didn’t work out after just a few months. But being around Grayson was something so new to me. We seemed so connected, much more than I had with any other guy before. He understood me before I even finished my sentences and always seemed to know what I was thinking. 

I was beginning to get to know his little quirks, the way he would side-smirk at me when he was in on a secret that I didn’t know about. He would run his hand from his shoulder down his arm when he was nervous; sometimes running it through his hair and pulling at the ends, making it stick up everywhere. He told me about his family and how much he loved baseball and hockey.