Chapter 2

My golden brown eyes burned intently at the road ahead of me as my feet carried me faster then ever before. A loud, fast paces Atreyu song blasted through my earbuds keeping my thoughts off of everything other than my strides. My breathing steadily got heavier the farther I ran. The sweat that was collecting on my forehead slowly trickling down getting into my eyes, blurring my vision slightly.

My feet pounded relentlessly on the asphalt road as I tried to go faster. Pushing myself past my limit, exhausting myself so I could go about the rest of my day. I had woken up with a massive headache after last nights disaster of a phone call. And the only way I knew how to relieve the dull ache was to run.

To say I was pissed at Matt, wouldn't be right though. Pissed wasn't the word. I was more disappointed, that after all these years I was finally going to be within twenty miles of where he was and he basically told me that he'd rather work than see me. A giant fucking slap to my face, if you ask me.

My feet skidded to a stop as I heard my music lower and the sound of my ring tone play through the tiny earbuds. Causing me to give an awkward little wave at the man in the silver Mercedes, who had stopped and waited for me to cross the road. He seemed a bit mad to the fact I stopped and wasted his time, judging by the middle finger he waved in my direction as he drove off. I just shrugged it off though, living in New York you learn to ignore the assholes.

The ring of my phone brought me out of my dazed thoughts again. Inwardly I groaned to myself, wondering why I even bothered stopping in the first place. It was probably one of two people, both of who I wasn't exactly keen on talking to at the moment.

Either it was Matt, or my mother. Both of whom I've been ignoring. Matt, because of the obvious reasons and well... my mother because it doesn't seem to sink into her thick skull that I'm not interested in her desperate attempts to set me up with a date.

"What?" I kind of snapped, as I pressed the answer button on my headphones. My breathing was heavy making my words even harsher.

"Is that how I taught you to answer the phone Lindsey?" Instantly my eyes rolled at the shear sound of my mothers high pitched voice. Scolding me, as if I was some five year old kid still.

"No, but that doesn't stop me. I'm an adult mother, I'm more than capable of making my own choices regarding how I answer my phone." Sighing heavy, I ran a hand over my sweaty hair. Walking the rest of the way to my apartment building.

"Don't you dare use that tone with me." My mother barked, as if she still had control of my actions. I was twenty-two for fucks sake. I've been on my own for years, what ever thread of control she did have of me was lost a long time ago. But I wasn't in the mood to hear her bitch, so I kept my big mouth closed.

"Ok, sorry mother." I rolled my eyes as I rounded the last street corner before my apartment building was in eye sight. "Why did you call?"

There was a few moments of silence between us, after I asked. Making my mind start drifting to all the possible things my mother could want. She was a demanding women, which was the main reason I high tailed it out of the house at the age of eighteen. Between her constant ploys to set me up with neighbor boys and the incessant nagging about my weight, it was enough to drive me up a fucking wall.

"Oh, I was just wondering if you had thought about bringing someone with you to Midge's wedding." Even from a hundred miles away, and through a phone I could hear the smirk in her voice. Meaning only one thing.... She was up to something.

"Um, yeah actually." I lied straight through my teeth, hoping she would drop this topic. But from the sharp intake of air from her, I knew I opened a whole new can of worms.