Chapter Seven

Kia raised her eyebrows, waiting for an answer. I felt myself blush, remembering what happened a minute ago. How could I have shown my feelings to Zane when I knew how rude he was? Sure he was hot, but I should have been more focused. Now he know I found him attractive which he probably thought was gross. And how was I so focused on him with everything else that was happening?

Only then did I realize Kia was still waiting for an answer. I glanced at Zane who smiled innocently. I pursed my lips, thinking quickly. “Zane pushed me into the water!” There, I was being honest.

Zane chuckled and I scowled at him. Kia looked unsure, but she didn’t comment on it. “Alright; I came over here to see how you were doing with everything. It’s probably a shock after living like a human for so long.”

“Wait, you refer to them as humans. Aren’t we humans just with superpowers?” I didn’t see what was so funny about my question, but it made Zane laugh at me. Even Kia had to repress a giggle.

 “No, we’re called Mesials,” she informed me as she approached us. “I was thinking about trying to teach you some moves you can do on air. Blake wanted to come teach you water tricks, but he still seemed angry. And I didn’t think it was a good idea to have him and Zane anywhere near each other.”

Zane sighed in relief. “Thanks, I don’t need to deal with him right now. Does that mean you’re here to take over so I can go back to camp?”

“Yup,” she responded; chirpy as always.

I glowered at the green-eyed boy. “I didn’t know you were so anxious to get away from me.” He was such a… yeah.

“Don’t feel bad, I don’t like anyone.” He started walking towards the forest. He was almost there when he turned around and winked. “But don’t think I’ll forget about earlier.”

“You stupid, narcissistic-” My list of insults was cut off by Kia.

She glanced between me and Zane’s retreating back. “What happened?” There was a strange sliver of hope in her eyes.

“He was just being a jerk- as always. Anyways, I’m sorry about being so mean to you…” Even if they had kidnapped me, at least they had a good reason and they had been telling the truth.

Kia burst out laughing in petite giggles. “Hey, I’m your kidnapper, remember? You should be scared of me!” She puffed out her chest and flexed her thin arms, making me laugh as well. Yesterday, I would have actually been scared.

“Sure, but I actually have a question for you since you knew me way before everything happened…” I still wasn’t sure exactly what had happened. “I wanted to know why I’m so strong and flexible. It’s like I was made for the circus.”

She nodded in understanding. “You’re the king and queen’s daughter. They knew people would be after you no matter what, so you’ve been taking self-defense classes since you could walk. As for the flexibility, you loved gymnastics classes. You nearly gave your mom a heart attack leaping off of trees, even though she knew you could manipulate the air and earth to your convenience.” A fond smile crossed her face and I found myself wondering about my mother. When would I get to meet her?

“So how are you going to get back to your planet?” I spoke fast, hoping she didn’t notice how I didn’t include myself in the question. She didn’t.

“Okay, it’s not really another planet so to speak. I mean it is, but it’s in another dimension so it kind of puts a spin on things. We can’t just fly into outer space on a rocket ship… How do I explain this?” She dipped her feet into the river as she thought.