Alone...

The following story came to me whilst out walking my dog...

I was singing random Evanescence songs to myself and the one at the side got me thinking >>>

I feel it has the most impact if listened to at the end, as it sums up Bethan's feelings completely.

I hope you enjoy the story!

>chocobonanza<

"Mum? Did you hear me? I'm going out..."

Bethan studied her mother's face for a second. She hadn't even noticed her presence, or, if she had, refused to acknowledge it. She just sat, staring at the TV, empty whisky bottle in her hand as always. Bethan picked up her bag from the foot of the stairs and opened the front door. Turning to look back at her mother, a tear rolled down her cheek before she left.

"I'm sorry," Bethan whispered.

She wouldn't be back. She couldn't go back.

"How could you?!" Gerald screamed, "What about Bethan? Did you not even stop to think what this could do to her?"

"She's four... five, Gerry," slurred Suzanne, "She doesn't have a fucking clue what's going on! Get... Get out of my house!"

"Your house? There's no way I'm leaving Bethan alone with you. You'll just get him round and ignore her, as per usual."

"Get the fuck out of my goddamn house!" Suzanne screamed, sloshing whisky all over the front of Gerald's shirt.

"Fine, I'll go get some air... But only until you calm down. Just stay downstairs and let Bethan sleep. She doesn't need to see us like this.

"Fine... Whatever you say..."

Bethan awoke the next morning to the doorbell. Sliding out of her bed, she tiptoed across the landing and crept down the stairs. She didn't want to wake mummy up and daddy would be at work.

Pulling a stool over to the front door, Bethan climbed up and reached for the handle. The door slowly swung open and she peered up at a man wearing black trousers and a shiny yellow jacket. The man took his hat off and looked down at Bethan, asking if her mummy was in. He looked sad, and Bethan put her hand out so the man could take it, before leading him into the house.

After Suzanne had heard the voice at the front door she had stumbled downstairs with a headache and turning stomach. Bethan had let the policeman in and Suzanne showed him into the living room and sat in her favourite armchair. She indicated for the officer to sit on the sofa and asked him what was wrong.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news, Mrs. Keller."

Daddy wasn't coming home...

Almost twelve years had passed since the day Bethan had been left alone. Although physically she had her mother with her, emotionally she was an orphan. Her mother didn't love her, never had. That was how it felt. Bethan had lost the only person in her life that truly cared for her. No more bedtime stories, no more trips to the park, and no more hugs. She was completely alone.

Bethan had nearly reached the end of her street and stopped at the bus stop. It was only a short wait until the bus pulled up and the doors opened. Bethan paid her fare and sat at the back. The only other person on the bus was sat at the front, behind the driver's little capsule.

Staring out of the window at the passing houses, Bethan smiled as she recalled the happiest day of her life...

"Run, Bethan" Gerald shouted, "She's going to catch you!"

Bethan ran as fast as she could. She didn't want to get caught, it wasn't her time yet. A hand grabbed the back of her dress and she wailed in shock.

"You're 'it'!" Bethan's schoolfriend shouted, and Gerald tried his hardest not to laugh.

"I don't want to play anymore!" Bethan shouted, storming off to the corner of the garden and sitting under the apple tree. Gerald smiled at Bethan's friends and told them to carry on their game. He joined Bethan under the tree and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Sweetie, you have to play fair and take turns."

"I don't want to! It's my birthday and I don't want to be 'it'!" she pouted.

"I know, darling, but maybe your friends don't want to be 'it' either. I know I hated being 'it' when I was your age, but it's part of the game, and if everyone takes their turn then everybody's turn will only be little. Do you see?"

Bethan grumbled a little. She hated when her father was right.

"'Kay... I'll be 'it', but only for a little while!"

"That's my special little princess!" Gerald beamed. Even in a sulk, he couldn't help but admire her spirit.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, gorgeous?"

"When's mummy coming home?"

"I'm not sure, sweetie, but I'm sure she'll be back soon and she'll bring you an extra special present."

Gerald grimaced as Bethan ran off to join her friends. He knew Suzanne wasn't going to be back until the following morning. He knew that, at that moment, she was probably in bed with her other man, drunk and oblivious to her daughter's special day. It was better that way though; at least she wasn't there to ruin it like she had the last four years. Luckily he had left a present in the closet in case the need arose. He would give it to Bethan later that night, telling her that her mother had come in and gone straight to bed.

He hated lying to her, but Bethan knew now that it had only been to protect her.

Disembarking the bus, Bethan walked over to the fence running around the cow field and climbed over the stile. She was grinning now, memories of her father swimming in her mind. Avoiding the many piles of cowpat, Bethan wandered over to the edge of the field. She could hear the gulls in the distance, calling to her. She peered downwards at the waves crashing below and sighed.

She was alone, unloved and unwanted. She had no purpose anymore... Nothing to give... No reason to endure her mother's hatred and loathing. She was the only thing left of him, and Suzanne couldn't bear to even look at her daughter those days.

Oh, how Bethan longed to see her father again. To hear his soft voice, soothing her, as he embraced her. That had been the only time she had ever felt safe.

Bethan dropped her bag onto the ground and smiled.

A single salty tear snaked down her warm cheek.

She moved closer to the edge of the cliff.

"I'm sorry, daddy..."

O_o  PRESS PLAY!! PRESS PLAY!!  o_O  >>>