Chapter 8 - Consenting Adults

Cameron's stomach was rumbling and he had to make his lunch break soon. He was considering dumping all this paper hell on Vincent while he prepared himself to go out to meet Vanessa. She was always fun to talk to and resolving her problems usually required yes and no questions and no paperwork. He could take off and grab that coffee with her and maybe talk her into having dinner with him. By the time he will get home, Vins would have resolved this paper hell! Yes, that's what he was going to do: leave this to Vins. Cameron smiled at his devilish plan. Yeah, that could work just to his advantage.

He shot the instructions to Vins via the mind link. The grunt that he got in a response only served to prove his point. This paperwork was too much for anyone to handle. He really needed to take it up to Marcus. If not for his Beta's sanity, the Alpha should do it for the environment. There. "We are modern. We should be green, right? Marcus will understand." He only needed to catch the Alpha is a good mood and between the party and his new mysterious friend, the Alpha was often in a good mood. "Hot damn, I'm on a roll!". Cameron grinned and picked up his keys.

Being a werewolf did not imply that he had to be running everywhere. As hot and sexy as it might seem in those silly romantic novels, not that he would ever admit that such literature even crossed his general knowledge much so his desk; sweaty werewolves were only attractive to their mates! Of course, if anyone asked, he would deny any knowledge and involvement with such literature. After all, he was the Beta and he needed his authority intact.

 As the phone rang, he mindlessly picked it up.

"Cameron speaking"

"Hey man. I found myself in a pickle. I need you to say out loud who you are speaking to right now" Marcus' voice came through the line. Cameron immediately straightened up. It was rather unusual for Marcus to call. He always mind linked with him. Why so formal all of the sudden? Cameron tried to mind link with him but instead ran into a wall. That meant that either he was out of range or was intentionally guarding his thoughts.

"Marcus, are you all right?" Cameron replied, still not caving in the demand.

"Yes, I am peachy." Marcus irritation was clear in the dose of sarcasm he used. "Just say my full name! Anytime now, while we are still young, man" his voice sounded even more urgent and frustrated. Cameron didn't want to risk Alpha Ned's anger directed at his hide, so he quickly did as he was bid.

"Marcus Joselph Edwards. Boss, you better tell me if you are in trouble..."

There was a commotion the moment that he said his name and then the phone line went dead. Cameron looked down at the phone in dismay and then tried to link with him. Frustration and pain was radiating off his Alpha and he quickly set things in motion. He had to react and support his Alpha. He was only wondering who was reckless enough to provoke the anger of the most vicious Alpha alive.

 ***

Knocking on the door before he breaks it down seemed too civilized for the situation. Marcus was pouring so many feelings in the mind link that it was overwhelming to say the least. He was in trouble. When the door opened as if sensing he was there, it took him by surprise. He quickly reacted as his training kicked in. Cameron rammed his way in, pushing his forearm against the person's throat until their head connected with the wall. So much for surveying the place before they attacked.

In the next second his eyes landed on a familiar face. He froze. Cameron kept on starring down at the delicate features of her face. She tried to push down his hand and that got him out of his stupor. He quickly realized that because of her small frame she was chocking in his grip. He let her go and started scanning the place for a possible threat. She was surely not a reason for the mood of his Alpha. She was coughing beside him, trying to get some air in her lungs again.