A Smile Of Affection - Chapter 18

Recap - chapter 17

As I took my time walking it gave me time to think back as thoughts flooded in to my mind.

He had told me that I should be with someone my age. So I did. I had Benson.

But then when he came back from his trip and he found out about Ben and he told me ‘I feel slightly disappointed that you listened to me’

And then when Grace said ‘I get why Ben becomes way too over protective, because in all decency the way that guy watches you at school it should be illegal..’

Just moments ago Noah had said to me ‘It has nothing to do with me being a teacher, or you being my student

I sighed. Was Gracey right all along?

Just then his voice played inside my head. ‘Just think about it Rachel’

________________________________________________________________

The cold wind whips itself around, forcing my to pull my jackets tighter around me, and to pull my hoodie up and over my now windblown hair.

“It feels good to be back down at the good’ol Salt Lake hey?” Gracey chirped, tugging her hair out of her braid and letting it fall down to her waist.

“Mm. I don’t miss the cold though.” I chuckled, rubbing my hands together.

She snacked my arm playfully “Oh pish posh, it’s not that bad- oh my god! look marks here!”  she perked up as she caught sight of her crush. I swear she has been in love with this guy in god knows how long.

She automatically jumped to her feet, along picking up her shoes as well and quickly fussed with her hair. She took one step before she paused and looked back over at me “Do you mind?” she asked chewing on her bottom lip.

I smiled “Of course, don’t worry about me go!” I waved her off and she skipped over the other side of the bonfire, without a second glance.

I sighed and leaned back as I watched her giggle and laugh away with Mark so openly.

Another sigh escaped my lips. I haven’t been able to do that in a while. Actually I don’t think I’ve ever had that. I mean Ben and I were like that, all the time. But that was before we even started dating. Now that we are... All we do is fight and argue.

Another sigh was released, but this one wasn’t from me.

“Hey babe.” He said with a slight slur to his voice as he slumped down beside me.

I groaned and whipped my head to the left “Please don’t tell me you’re drunk?”

 A guilty smile flashed over his face “Just a little?” he chuckled.

Then his face turned serious. He grabbed my face roughly between one hand and turned it more to the right. “Hey, who did that to you?”

My lips tightened and I looked away.

“It-” he hiccupped “It wasn’t me was it?”

Confusion stuck me “No ... if it was you Benson I think you would know? And also we wouldn’t be having this conversation.” I explained.

“oh. Right.” He pouted “So ..”

“Where have you been? You weren’t at school. You’re always at school.”

“ I was with the boys. We went out for a couple of drinks.” He held up his can “You know, being eighteen and all.” He winked.

Ugh. I rolled my eyes. “How much have you had Benson?”