Chapter 16: Dementor's kiss

In a sweeping motion, the light of the room dissipated away. A darkness spread into the room.

Voices of worried muttering, then the sound of the feet hitting floors got quicker. The crowd was dispersing in fear due to this sudden darkness that couldn't possibly be good. Draco thanked the gods that the bystanders have left, but this darkness in the middle of the day was extremely unsettling. His father explained that he definitely would be assigned as minister at 4:00 PM, but he didn't mention what would happen if his plan fails.
  He realized the sky was blackened outside from the windows on the ceiling. Thick layers of black cloud stormed and rolled fast. This could only mean something dark and powerful was on its way.
  The man had let go of Hermione's neck and she fell to the ground. Ron rushed to her to help her up.
Lucius and the two men looked around frantically. Draco had never seen his father look so troubled. He had always been so calm and collected until now.
With the two random men scrambling away suddenly, Draco realized some serious shit was going to go down now. Lucius himself stood there like a startled animal without a place to hide.

A slow and hollow sound came from above. A loud clash-- and the glass above their heads were shattered into a million pieces. They all dashed out just in time.
With the window on the high ceiling gone, the strongest wind whipped down. Draco shielded himself with an arm as the loud screams and wind nearly pushed him back. Hermione was covered by Ron's protective arms.
The soulless screeches were the kinds that ring inside your ear. Nobody could hear it except for yourself.
And so Draco pushed his hands tightly against his ear and so did everyone else. But like you could assume, it was no use. The inner screeching went on. The nonstop gusts of strong wind still came from the large broken window on the ceiling. Particles of leaves were blowing in now.

His heart stopped. Almost.

It started with one black figure, then the whole sky dotted completely black. Thousands of dementors were surrounding the ministry from outside. And then, they spilled in.
Each were incredibly huge, bigger than Draco has ever seen before. Like dragging rags they swooshed around in search of the wanted escaped Azkaban criminal. Everyone in the ministry had dropped their small buisness suitcases and sprinted to the chimineys to apparate away.
It wasn't long until the whole placed looked like a hell hole. Hermione took out the invisibility cloak and tossed it over her and Ron. She hurriedly beckoned Draco to come underneath.
But he stood.

A dementor's kiss was perhaps the worst kiss in the word. In fact it's the opposite of a kiss. Instead of love, they drench every happy feeling from you into their vaccuum mouths. They feed off your happiness and memories, and by the end, you'll be left in a vegetative state. Like a human vegetable unable to respond to any stimuli.
And it was happening to Draco's father.

Dozens of dementors were swarming in a certain area. They glided quickly and hungrily towards a body on the ground, which had to be Lucius.
And he couldn't watch. He didn't want to watch but he couldn't look away. It was so awful and horribly disgusting. He felt sick to the stomach knowing that he was watching his own father have his soul extracted. Without a soul, you could still breathe and be alive, but you won't be living, just--merely existing.
And that left him to wonder if Lucius ever had a soul in the first place.
A gentle hand touched his shoulder. "We have to go," Hermione's voice was quiet. She turned her head away from the scene.
He wouldn't budge. He didn't blink. He couldn't think.
Hermione and Ron dragged Draco along before they all took off sprinting off to the chimineys. Ron had brought a big bag of Floo powder that Hagrid gave him. And one by one they each got in and did the procedure. Ron and Hermione had apparrated out together hand in hand, all the way back to hogwarts.
Draco tightly clutched the powder in his hand. His body was sweating and yet his hands were freezing cold. He weakly said the word "Hogwarts" before dropping the powder. A bright green fire envelopped him and he was gone, just like that.

...