Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The rest of the week went as normal. Sam continued to talk to the one girl whos number he did get and every few days faked a number or two so Dean would smile at him proudly. Sammy didn’t know that Dean smiled proudly at him a lot, just when he wasn’t looking. Dean continued to walk through the halls normally, finally relaxing into his classes. He would firt and joke and before long he became something of a class clown. The more popular crowd of the school, the jocks and cheerleaders, weren’t amused by his in class distractions; probably because that was once their job. Nonetheless, Dean enjoyed it. He got people talking to him, girls gawking at him, and, on occasion, he could catch a certain blue eyed linebacker trying to smother his smile at one of Deans jokes.  He knew it couldn’t last long, but the eldest Winchester son was somewhat happy at school. It was an escape from the tense silence of his home where he stood tall and followed ordered like a solider or got hit. Sometimes, he got hit anyway. What scared Dean the most was Sammy’s attempts to take a hit in the place of his brother. Sam was trying to take Deans job as a protector.

Castiels week went with more bumps and holes than normal, like a old dirt road. He couldn’t figure out why he felt different in his first and last classes of the day when he sat next to Dean Winchester. He couldn’t explain why he was so unnerved by the talk of beating this boy up, a talk that echoed through the locker room like it was a group exercise. His teammates couldn’t understand why Castiel was sticking up for this boy. Overall, Dean Winchester had created many bumps along the road for Cas. It seemed the one thing the boy could be sure of was the abuse he suffered at home, the self-hatred he suffered alone, and the blind eyes of his parents.

“So are you going to the game tonight, Dean?” Lisa, a black haired, olive skinned, flawless beauty flashed her white smile at the spikey haired flirt beside her in History. This was one of the few girls Dean had been hitting on over the past week. She wasn’t an easy crack, though, and that’s what made Dean interested.

“I don’t think so,” The teen says, leaning his chair back and putting his feet on the desk in front of him.  He relaxed himself, making himself at home in the classroom that he was almost out of. For a whole weekend he would be stuck at home, either practicing with the guns, taking care of Sam, or, if he got lucky, helping his dad on the hunt. He didn’t have time to be a teenager. To go to a game and party.

“Aw come on! It’ll be fun!” The three girls around him coursed, as if that could convince him. Dean gave a small smile and a shake of his head.

“Sorry girls.” He got the words out moments before the shrill bell rang and the class made a dash for the door. Dean took his time, saying goodbye to the girls before packing his stuff. Throwing one strap of his old, warn, falling apart backpack, Dean started for the door when not one, but two large bodies shouldered into him from behind. The boy, weak from a few days of not eating, stumbled and almost fell flat on his face there on the floor. The two football jocks made their way out the door, laughing as Dean narrowed his green eyes, darker with annoyance, at them. After collecting what fell from his bag, the teen made his way out the door before his teacher could stop him.

Castiel couldn’t help but feel relieved when he sat down in his next class. Forcing ones way through the halls always seemed to be more difficult on a Friday, especially if that Friday hosted a home game.  Sometimes the teen wondered how he made it from class to class without getting trampled. He felt a bit more relieved when Dean Winchester took his normal seat beside him seconds before the bell rung.

“Okay, you guys know what to do. Work on projects. Keep it down. Don’t hump each other.” The teacher says before taking his place back behind the desk to work on papers. Castiel turned to find an annoyed looking boy beside him taking out his notebook. Seeing as the pair of them were farther ahead than planned on their project, Cas decided he could sacrifice a little time.