Chapter Ten - The Test

"Another day, another week gone by without Minke..." thought Minka. "When is he going to come home?" The war was nearly over, and the governments were making treaties. Minka had booked in her flight to Earth for a month's time. She missed Minke. Where was he? She would have to go without Minke. Minka nodded to herself. No matter what.

                                                                                   ***

Minke gulped. What test? Will I survive? he thought.

"Your test is..." said the voice, "to cross your eyes."

Minke goggled. Had he heard right?

"Yes you heard right. For the duration of the test, I will be accessing your thoughts."

"What the heck?" muttered Minke under his breath. Minke tried. He struggled. He puffed his cheeks, and he even tried to decieve the  voice. "You forgot I can hear what you're thinking," said the voice after an attempt. Minke cursed and continued. He went on for two hours, until at last, he resigned himself to the fact that he could not cross his eyes.

"Can't cross your eyes?" said the voice after two hours. Minke shook his head. "THEN DIE!"

                                                                                     ***

Lop Lopian 3 was getting very impatient. Minke hadn't come back after 2 hours! Where is that lazy cat? he thought. Must've tried to run for it. Lop Lopian 3 got out of the car. He grumbled as he got out. Where is he? Then he stumbled upon a clearing. Lop Lopian 3 wasn't actually a native Lop Lopian, but had moved to Lop Lop 5 years ago. To no longer be able to sense petrol, you had live in Lop Lop for ten years. Lop Lopian 3 gasped. In the middle of the clearing, was something he just knew was petrol. At last! thought Lop Lopian 3. He bent down to scoop it up. At the last second, he saw the other bottles scattered there. Wait, Minke was here?! Lop Lopian 3 tried to stop himself, but it was too late. He realised where Minke had gone. He screamed as he fell into the petrol portal.

                                                                                    ***

Lop Lopian 2 was heading towards the woods too. He had heard the myths about the abundance of the petrol there. He wanted to get it before the others. He licked his lips. He got hungry thinking of all the marshmallows he would get if he handed the cat in. But he wasn't going to stop at that. No, after that, he would kill the boss and get the rest of his marshmallows. The plan was brilliant. Brilliant! BRILLIANT! He smiled as he plunged into forest.

                                                                                    ***

Lop Lopian 3 looked around, confused. Where was he? He looked around and muffled a gasp. A cave-creature, the fabled guardians of petrol, stood at the back of the cave. She was purposely disgising herself, but to Lop Lopian 3, it was obvious that the light reached further into the cave than that. Minke was on the ground, attempting the test to obtain petrol. What did she make him do? wondered Lop Lopian 3. He slunk further into the shadows. Stab himself? Eat rotten fish? He got no further in his wonderings. Just that moment, the cave-creature shouted, "THEN DIE!"

                                                                                    ***

Minke looked to the creature hiding in the shadows. He still did not know what it was. Oh well. he thought. It's going to kill me now, so it doesn't really matter. Just as the creature moved forward, Lop Lopian 3 moved out of the shadows and shot the creature. Where did he come from? wondered Minke. He gasped. Suddenly the creature wasn't hidden anymore and all shadows that had been shrouding it before had vanished. She had hair that shimmered and shined so much that you couldn't tell what colour it was. Her eyes were like fanthomless holes, yet shone with many colours too.  Her dress billowed as she fought Lop Lopian 3 mercilessly, her mouth fixed in a snarl. Lop Lopian 3 grimanced as he caught sight of the creature's sharp teeth. "Grab the gun!" he shouted. It had been kicked away in the fight. "Change it to the blue button!"

Minke obeyed and went over to the gun. He looked at it. "Quickly!" said Lop Lopian 3.

"Why should I?" asked Minke defiantly.

"If you don't we both die!" screamed Lop Lopian 3 helplessly. The creature was winning the fight. Minke hesitated but then picked up the gun and fired. The creature sank into a pile of dust.

"Thanks," said Lop Lopian 3 gratefully. "I forgot to switch it before. Those cave-creatures are immune to laser. I use infra-red instead."

"Why did you make me do all the work?" asked Minke. He was furious. Lop Lopian 3 avoided his eyes.

"Come on. Lets get as much petrol as we can before the thing respawns." he said hurridly.

"You know what?" said Minke. "You're not worth it. I go and do your bidding, only to nearly die!"

"Well I saved you, didn't I?"

"That's not enough!"

"Oh yeah?"

While they were arguing, they didn't notice the figure that appeared and positioned himself in the shadows. "Quiet, you two... or you both die." Minke and Lop Lopian 3 froze and turned towards the menacing voice. Lop Lopian 3 took in a quick breath when he saw the figure. "Lop Lopian 2..." he said.