chapter 1: Red Eyes

***********************************sorry this chapter is so short**************************************

April, her eyes the color of blood. Her name was, if anything, feared.

I just want to go outside! April cried, her blood tinged tears staining her cheeks. I hate this house, I hate these guards, I hate my tutors, I hate everything daddy! The room was in chaos. Books were thrown about from her earlier fit and the priceless paintings that were now strewn about the room were, unfortunately, destroyed.

Why must you be so difficult April? I give you everything you could ever want. Her father asked, reaching his hand out to the sobbing girl.

I want to go outside! She retorted, slapping his hand away. I want to make friends! I want to go to an actual school! I want to be normal! She began working herself up again, breaking everything in her father’s study that she happened to pass. Her father was so unfair. She couldn’t understand him, no matter how hard she tried. She picked up a mirror, ready to smash it into a million pieces.

Wait April! her father cried, grasping her wrist. Look at yourself! Her eyes caught her reflection, causing her to stop her tirade. Her skin, the finest porcelain in the world and her hair the color of dying embers, black with a red tint, but that wasn’t the problem. No, the problem was worse than that. Her eyes, the deepest most unholy crimson anyone would ever see. Her bloody tears stopped as she saw what a mess she had made of herself. Her hand flew up to touch just beneath her eye. That is why you can never leave here my darling. That is why you can never be normal.

During the winter of her eighth year alive, April saw, for the first time, her own reflection. Her father released his grip on her, watching the emotions play across her face. “No, I don’t want to…I don’t want to look! April cried, dropping the mirror, seeing it shatter into a million pieces. I want all the mirrors in this house broken! She turned to her shocked father. I don’t want to ever see my eyes again! The child ran away, locking herself in her room for days. If only my eyes weren’t so hideous, she thought to herself, if only my soul wasn’t red.