Chapter 5

Uncle Liam moved over and I stood there smiling. All of their jaws dropped to the floor.

"Hi." I whispered. Dad stood up and came over to me. He circled me, and I started fidgeting. Not liking him circling me.

"What in the world did you do with my daughter?" He asked. I smiled at him.

"Just had a bit of a change.. Do you like it?" I asked, nervously.

"I don't know." He said, crossing his arms in front of me.

My smiled dropped along with my eyes. Of course he wouldn't like it. But I do.

"Well I like it.." I said lowly. He grunted.

"What's with this whole change thing anyways?" Dad asked.

"I was on Instagram-"

"El, I told you not to read the comments." He said, cutting me off.

"I know. But I did. And they were saying how I didn't look like an 'Eleanor', or how I'm such a nerd. I just wanted to-"

"To what? Change for them? Show them up?" He asked, cutting me off again.

"Why are you getting so sour with me?" I asked, making a face.

"I don't want you changing." He said, arms still crossed over his chest.

"I'm 15.. I think this is natural." I said.

"It's not. You don't go from glasses and French braids to makeup and contacts." He said.

"Well I did. And I like the change. Just because I'm starting to care about my appearance doesn't mean anything." I said, now crossing my arms.

"Go take.. This off." He said, motioning to my outfit.

"No." I said, shrugging.

"No?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. I shook my head, challenging him.

I've always been a sweet kid. Never really disobey. But when you make me mad, or make me do something I don't want to, I'm not going to be the sweet innocent girl that you think I am.

My Mum would always teach me to stand up in what I believe in. And not to take crap from anyone.

So I'm not going to.

"No. Mum always taught me to stick up with what I believe in, and I am." I said, keeping my arms crossed and leaning on one leg with my hip out.

"Yeah, I agree with her. But this.." He said, motioning to my outfit. "Is not you. Neither is makeup."

"How would you know?" I asked, challenging him.

"Because I'm your father! I've never bought you a drop of makeup." He said.

"Maybe I have." I said.

"I'm done arguing with you. When I come upstairs in 10 minutes, this better be off." Dad said, turning around and sitting back on the couch.

"Ugh!" I said, shaking my head and stomping up the stairs.

"Lose the attitude, Eleanor!" Dad yelled up the stairs.

I rolled my eyes and kept stomping to my room, slamming my door when I got in.

I plopped down on my bed and pulled out my phone. I looked at my Instagram, and smiled at the picture.

The caption was my full name with a few hearts by it.

I liked it. And it seems that my followers like it also. Most of the comments are positive when the majority used to be negative.

I don't see why he doesn't just support me. Sure, this is a big change. But I'm just dressing different. It's not like my personality is changing.

I've always had some sass in me from Uncle Louis. And it's just how I am.

And I always dressed up more than usual when we went to things for their band.

I'm just doing it more than usual, but making it more casual.

Everybody grows up. I just think he didn't believe I would use makeup or stuff.

Oh well. I'm not taking it off.

A knock came at my door, and then it opened. Dad walked through and sighed, throwing his head back when he saw me still wearing it.

"What?" I asked.

"Would you please do what I asked?" He asked. I shook my head, going back to scrolling through Instagram.

He snatched my phone out of my hand and put it in his pocket. He then went over to my dresser and picked out some leggings and a shirt.

"What are you doing?" I asked, sitting up all the way.

"Go change." He said, pointing towards my bathroom and handing me my clothes.

"Dad-" I started.

"Go." He said, shaking his head at me. I groaned and went to the bathroom to change.

I came back out and placed my old clothes on my dresser.

"Happy?" I asked. He nodded.

"Now. What has gotten into you?" He asked.

"It's just, everybody on Instagram was saying how I looked nothing like an Eleanor. That I wasn't pretty. And a nerd. I just wanted to show them who I am. Yes, I am a nerd and all the things I used to dress like. But this is the other half of me nobody sees." I told him.

"Look, I just want you to be you. I personally don't believe this is you. I think you're the smart girl who wears glasses." Dad said.

"But this is me too. Just because I'm not wearing glasses doesn't mean I'm not smart. Or any different." I said. He nodded.

"I know. I just don't think I want to face it being you. You look grown up." He said, looking down.

"But I'll always be your little girl." I said, giving him a big hug.

***

Hey guys!

Sorry it's a bit later than usual.

How you all enjoyed this!

Comment your thoughts!

Thank you!

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

~All the love, G x