Random Social Skills Scenario

You are going to a concert with a few of your friends. You are very excited; they are your favourite band and you have wanted to see them for ages. When you get to the concert there is a huge crowd and everything is very loud. Your palms get sweaty and your breathing quickens and you can feel a panic attack coming on. 

To deal with this you can:

-Leave the concert and explain to your friends (if possible), even if you may feel disappointed.

-Try to breathe and accept that the feeling won't last forever.

-Close your eyes and visualise yourself on a warm, calming beach.

-Go to the edge of the concert or find a public toilet at the concert where you can be alone, to try and calm yourself.

To prepare for this situation before it happens you can:

-Write a Social Story.

-Explain to your friends about your mental health and how it may affect you at the concert.

-Bring headphones or earplugs, if you wish to be more subtle.

-Stand closer to the back (so it's easier for you to leave if/when needed).

-If you own a stress ball you could bring it.

-If you own anything weighted or tight fitting you could wear it.

-If you have a chewy or any chewlry (chewy necklaces or bangles etc), you could bring them.

-If you have an iPod you could bring it so that you could close your eyes and listen to more calming music.