The Time-Capsule for No One

CHAPTER 1

October 3, 2096

        My name is Jessica Forma. I was born October 3, 2086. I was in a very special generation…the last generation. And to top that, I was the only one in this generation. The ambassadors of the International System of the World (ISW) passed a law that no one could have anymore kids.

       But it was too late by then because my mom was already pregnant, with me a course. As you would guess I am an only child. It usually has its perks, but when you don’t have any body to hang out with that’s your age, you would prefer to have siblings.

       I live in the city of Juju, in the sector of Wazzi, and in the country of Gonta. My teachers say it used to be Las Angeles in California, but not anymore it isn’t. California broke away from the United Sates in 2048, as did Hawaii and Alaska. Now, they are in the country of Gonta.

       Also, we don’t have states, we have sectors. Personally, I like sectors better. The ISW says that countries with states have to use currency like the old days…ugh, that has to suck. It’s been like this since the ISW was founded in 2024.

       But since I live in country with sectors, I don’t have to use that stupid old stuff. What was it called, again? Oh yeah…currency. With sectors your government can choose its own way with money. I think it’s because the ISW’s headquarters is located in a sectorous country, but my mom says don’t judge the government, so I don’t.

       Anyway, Gonta has a very special way of paying for items. As soon as you turn eighteen or you get a job, you get a GG and a SG card. A GG card stands for general goods, and SG stands for, you guessed it, special goods.

       With the GG card you can buy your groceries and clothing. With the SG card you can buy your toys, appliances, furniture, and bed spreads. You get unlimited spending with your GG card, but it depends on your job for the amount of money on your SG card.

       If you don’t have a job you don’t get a SG card, but you do get $15.00 a month for you GG card. The government buys the houses for people, though and pays the electricity and heating bills, so that’s a perk. Now a days everyone eats healthy though. There is no candy, chips, or soda…nothing. But I don’t really care, everyone is healthy and in shape.

       All food is organic and the government checks the factories to make sure the processing of the food is under their regulations. I never knew why the ISW did all of this. They gave us one heck of an life and none of the pressure was on us!

       Well anyway, back to me. Since I am the only person my age, it’s like having my own personal tutor everyday. I’m the only person in my class as you could’ve guessed. The government didn’t want me to have trouble in school, so my same teacher moves up with me every year.   

       I feel kind of bad for teachers and people who have been studying hard to become one, since now there will be no more openings. They’ve been planning all their life to a teacher, and now their studies have gone down the drain. Also, the people who are already teachers lose their jobs once the age group they are teaching doesn’t need anymore schooling.

       My teacher says that schooling has changed a lot over the course of the years. She said that people didn’t have to know what they wanted to do when they grow up until college. But now-a- days you have to know by the time you’re in fourth grade.

       Preschool and up you don’t need to know. Everybody is just taught general subjects like math, reading, science, English literature, and spelling. But once forth grade hits, you have four months to figure out the rest of your life.