The Journey

Many days later

We flew for so long that I lost sense of time. I lost my sense of direction because of the endless blanket of cloud that enveloped Bucephalas and I. My whole body was numb; I was so cold I couldn’t even shiver. Every day the sun rose and set behind me changing the colour of the cloud from white to gold to dusky pink. Suddenly a gust of wind knocked me off balance. I looked around and saw the cloud change and swirl around me. If the weather systems were getting stronger that meant I was getting closer to earth. I smiled, not long now I thought.

The next day

I frowned into Bucephalas’s mane. What was that cold trickle running down my back? I sat bolt upright as a clap of thunder woke me up from sleeping on Bucephalas’s neck. I peered forward over his head. I could see something; they looked like pinpricks of light. My eyes widened as I realised what I was looking at, it was earth.

Within the next few hours I saw the pinpricks get larger and larger until I could make out fields, buildings and animals. Bucephalas’s wings flapped slowly and powerfully creating gusts of wind as we landed in the middle of a field. The sound of crickets filled my ears as a sudden wave of heat hit me drying the moisture that had collected on my skin from flying through the clouds.

Bucephalas lay down and I curled up next to him, I sighed looking up at a sky full of stars. Not so long ago I was looking down on the earth from up there. I closed my eyes wondering what tomorrow would bring