Chapter One:

Ships log, entry 01: MY name is Colonel Falun; I was 28 when this mission began. According to the ship's interments, I am now 28 and ½, six months has elapsed according to space time. By earth time however, I am 68 ½ years old. I and my four-person crew have just been brought out of stasis by the AI, and are beginning to reacquaint ourselves with our surroundings. Our destination is a class M planet in the Alpha Centauri system, called Batiman2. We are within scanner range, and Batiman2 can be seen orbiting Centauri B. The planet is thought to be at the same stage of evolution as Earth 130,000 BC. We are beginning our deceleration and should achieve orbit within 24 hours. Our craft is equipped with a small shuttle, in which I will descend to the surface. If all goes well on the surface, the remainder of the crew, except for Captain, Nansen will transfer here via the cargo pod. Captain Nansen is the only female member of our party; she is also our crew's Doctor. I will be dictating entries into the ships log during our six-month expedition of the planet. Our intent is to determine if Batiman2 is capable of supporting human life.

Ships log, entry 02: We have achieved orbit, and I am now preparing to enter the shuttle. The shuttle has one week’s supply of oxygen and food. The cargo pod with Carter, Hennery, and Parker is scheduled to join me on Batiman2 in two days if all goes well with our first contact. The cargo pod has provisions to last six months. If all goes well with the cargo pod, the shuttle will return to the orbiter under remote retrieval, and Captain Nansen will be joining us on Batiman2 in one week.    

Ships log, entry 03: I have separation and am proceeding to location Alpha, sector four on Batiman2. As I descend through the thick vapor layer and pass over land masses, I can see Alpha, four on the computer screen as it passes below. On my next orbit, I will be executing a landing maneuver; the computer has chosen a landing sight based on terrain and proximity to water. The sensors are picking up pockets of life forms, but at this altitude, it is impossible to tell whether they are animal or human. The computer has assumed control, and I am descending onto the surface.

Ships log, entry 04: I have safely landed at Alpha four, and am now preparing to disembark the shuttle. The computer has recalibrated the shuttle’s time recording device according to the rotation of Batiman2. There are 20 hours per rotation and 314 rotations per orbit. Alpha Centauri B is a distance of 100 million miles from Batamin2. According to the readout, it was 10:18 PM, which meant it was just past mid-day. The onboard interments were confirming earlier readings that the outside air was breathable and only slightly more carbon dioxide than earth. The ambient temperature is 42 degrees with 47 % humidity.

Ships log, entry 05: I will be making a transition from the onboard information storage device to my Tricorder, enabling me to leave the shuttle. This will allow me to maintain contact with the shuttle and the orbiter at the same time.

“Shuttle to orbiter, this is Colonel Falun, come in orbiter.”

“Go ahead shuttle, this is Major Carter; we read you.”

“Landing achieved, preparing to exit shuttle.”

“Roger Colonel, we are at ready here for pod separation on your command. We are reading your locating beacon, loud and clear.”

As the hatch to the Shuttle opened the differential pressure equalized causing a slight hiss of escaping air. Falun looked at the atmospheric pressure gauge on the console, and it read 26.33, which for this altitude seemed comparable to earth, but regardless it would sustain life. He took a deep breath and opened the hatch all the way and stepped onto the short ladder and then onto the ground.