Chapter 10

“Haley, would you mind putting these one the shelves before you leave?” Tina, my boss asked me.

“Sure,” I glanced at the clock and saw that I still had five minutes before I finished my shift.

The first three books were Stephen King’s new release, so I walked around the counter and towards the Thriller section. Instead of the books being arranged in alphabetical order, they were put into their genre’s first making it easier for customers to find other books they’d like.

After all the books were in the right places I walked into the back of the shop to grab my jacket and say goodbye to Tina, and Jena who had just walked in to start after me.

As I stepped out into the chilly autumn afternoon, I walked briskly to Olive’s Café down the road. I’d called the girls a few hours after the phone call from Chase, and they insisted that I met them all for lunch the next day.

I knew they’d want the full details, but I wasn’t expecting for it to be so soon. I’d hardly had the time to think if through myself, let alone go through one of their interrogations about it.

Although the call had made me insanely happy, and slightly mortified, there was nothing remotely romantic about it. It was a mere phone call between two close friends and full of laughs. But I knew they wouldn’t see it that way.

All the romance novels and films had corrupted their minds so much that as soon as I’d mentioned him, they thought we were seeing each other. Which is kind of impossible considering we have never met before, and he was best friends with my brother.

But no matter how much I protested it, they still won’t let go of their match making thoughts. Now I dread to think to think how they’re going to blow the phone call out of proportion.

As I entered the café, the ding of the bell rang out and I immediately spotted them waving like crazy from one of the back tables. I let out a sigh as I made my way over them with a smile on my face.

I love my friends to pieces, don’t get me wrong, but I didn’t need them muddling my thoughts up even more with possibilities that will never happen. After hugging them all and saying our hellos, I sat down in the empty seat next to Chloe.

“So… Spill.” Lisa urged the moment I sat down.

“I’ve already told you all about it over the phone.” I tried to get out of explaining it again, but I knew my attempt was futile.

“But we want to hear it again, don’t we?” she asked Chloe and Emma who both nodded, “Start from the beginning?”

I groaned, I hadn’t told them about how I rudely answered the phone, but I knew I had to. They’d get it out of me eventually, and it’d only make it ten times worse. I seriously think Lisa should work for police interrogation rather than a hairdresser.

As I told them about it, I saw their mouths open in shock before Lisa shouted “You didn’t!” causing people on the tables next to us to glance over.

“Shh!” I could feel myself blushing already, “It was embarrassing enough without you three adding to it. I’d had enough of the stupid sales people getting my hopes up for nothing. I really didn’t expect the next call to be from him. Now he must think I’m a right idiot. Or that I have anger issues, I don’t know what’s worse.”

“Calm down Hales,” Emma started, “He wouldn’t think badly of you just because of how you answered the phone. He’s been writing to you for months now, so he knows by your letters you’re as sweet as anything. Besides, everyone hates cold callers so it’s a good think you would stand your ground against them.”