The Light- Prologue

Prologue

Even in a world ruled by a spell of darkness, you may still find Light.

Äiti made her way slowly around the giant room, dusting the ancient bookcase and humming a gentle lullaby to her unborn child. She was cautious as she sweeped her feather across the thick books that were bound to be centuries old. She knew that Mörker had dozens, possibly hundreds, of dark enchantments cast across the room. 

There was one shelf that never needed dusting. It was empty, or at least appeared to be. Äiti assumed Mörker had placed a protection spell around the shelf and Äiti knew better than to attempt at touching it.

She was in the process of walking by the strange shelf when she suddenly felt a sharp pain near her stomach. It caught her by such surprise that she doubled over and reached out one hand for something to support herself. The first thing her fingers touched was the wooden enchanted book shelf. 

The stabbing pain disappeared just as quickly as it came. Äiti gasped and backed away as soon as she realized where her hand had been. Moments after she moved away from the bookcase it began to shift, change. Äiti watched in amazement as the shelf turned into a small podium. Upon it sat what looked like a stack of papers of different sizes, colors and textures all bound together by a leather covers and spine. 

A book perhaps. Äiti thought as she cautiously approached the podium. She wasn’t sure why but Äiti felt drawn to the book and without thinking reached out to touch it. The instant Äiti’s skin made contact with the leather a spark the size of a daisy flew out of the cover and floated up in front of Äiti’s face. She peered at it curiously before the small spark began to expand in size and become brighter and brighter. Soon enough it was the size of a horse and was blindingly bright. Äiti had been about to turn her head away from the spark when an image appeared in the light that instantly had Äiti’s attention.

It was her holding a tiny baby. In the vision she looked down at the babe with loving eyes and kissed her forehead.

As Äiti watched this picture unfolding before her she quickly understood that this was a vision of her and her soon-to-be born child.  What she saw next however stunned her far beyond words could possibly explain. The baby turned toward the real Äiti. She gasped. 

Her child had blue eyes. Nobody in the entire kingdom of Asaran had blue eyes.

She picked up the mystical book from the shelf and flipped through the pages until her eyes fell on the words ‘blue eyes’. She began reading the worn page.

In a kingdom ruled by darkness, only The Light can defeat the ruler Mörker. The Light will be a girl with blue eyes, the only blue in the kingdom. The Light shall be brought into the world on the anniversary of the City of Ballaí. When The Light comes of age she shall have the power to vanquish Mörker with the help of this book. The tuar.

Äiti ran a hand affectionately across her large stomach. This was the fabled tuar, the book written by the founders of the kingdom of Asaran. This book was told to held the secrets of the future and truths of the past. It had been predicted that Mörker would gain control of the kingdom and indeed he had through much bloodshed and suffering. Mörker had held the throne for the last 100 years and was a tyrant. Many had tried to kill him and all of them had died a painful death in the process.

Äiti grew fearful to the thought that her daughter was the legendary Light. For centuries it had been passed down from grandmother to grandchild, priest to community, teacher to student. The tale of The Light and the happiness she would bring to the kingdom, ridding evil forever. 

Äiti’s daughter was the Light. What did this mean? Would she be the one to finally defeat Mörker? What if she failed? Äiti did not want her daughter to die. She did not want her daughter to be forced into this. If Mörker knew that Äiti carried The Light, The Savior then he would surely kill her and all her friends and family.