Chapter 23

Over a course of two days following the storm, my illness had left me bedridden. Not wanting me to be left by myself in my room, Zuko had my bed taken to his room. "I just want to make sure you're okay," he'd told me. "And I can't do that if we're in separate rooms." I didn't argue. It wasn't like I got much say in the matter anyway.

Zuko and his uncle had become my caretakers, bring me tea and helping me to sit up so I could eat. They remained patient with me, even through my protests that I was fine.

No one knew where this case of delirium, fever, and coughing had come from. Iroh was absolutely sure that it was related to the storm. It was the only logical answer, I suppose, and it sort of explained my sudden outburst towards Zuko. I'd never spoken out like that before.

One day, after lying alone for what felt like hours (and might've actually been hours), Zuko returned to his quarters, dressed in all black and sliding a blue mask under his bed.

"What have you been doing, dressed like that?" I asked sleepily.

"Nothing," he answered sternly. That was my cue to stop asking questions. "Hey, Saki? Can I ask you something?" His voice was softer now as he put away his dual swords.

"Of course."

"What was your life like before you came to live with us?"

"Why the sudden interest?" I asked.

"Well, I was charting the map, thinking of where the Avatar could be going next. And it dawned on me: The only time we've ever been to your home, I was attacking it..." He blushed awkwardly, clearly embarrassed. "I didn't realize how that probably was for you..."

Fortunately for me, Zuko — who had been changing back into his armor during our conversation — was summoned by a soldier. Something about Jee wanting to talk about the Avatar. I guess Iroh's little campfire story changed Jee's perspective on Zuko. Anyway, this saved me from a conversation that I really didn't want to have. Whether I was healthy or not, I didn't want to talk about this.

Yeah, I know what you're all thinking: But, Saki! You told everyone that story about how you tried to hunt the "polar bear dog" that turned out to just be Sokka when you were a kid! Remember?

Yes, I do remember, imaginary person that I'm probably hallucinating. But that was a one-time thing. I didn't like talking about life in the South Pole because there isn't much to tell. I wasn't there long enough to have a lot of stories.

A knock tolled on the door. "Come in," I answered. In came Bao and Hung, both carrying trays. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" I asked.

"We brought you tea, and some food," Bao smiles softly. I expected such kindness from Bao, but definitely not from Hung. The two knelt by my bed as I sat up with a struggle.

"Why the sudden kind gesture?" I teased. "It's not like I'm dying." When they didn't respond, I asked, "You two don't seriously think I'm dying, do you?"

Hesitantly, Bao answered, "We were ordered to come here and make sure you didn't try to leave the room."

Without meaning to, I gave a slightly bitter laugh. "What? Am I being held hostage or something?"

Bao shook his head, but it was Hung that spoke. "Zuko needed you to be distracted so you wouldn't know that Admiral Zhao was onboard."

Apparently, the man with the brain capacity of an insect had been granted yet another promotion. I was going to need to have a talk with whomever was in charge of this — they clearly have an even smaller brain capacity than Zhao.

Involuntarily, my body decided it was time for me to stand. Bao and Hung quickly took hold of my arms and dragged me back down, keeping me pinned to my bed.

"This is exactly why Prince Zuko gave specific orders to not tell her," Hung growled at Bao.

"But you were the one that told her!" Bao shot back.

I don't think I've ever mention this before, so I'll say it now: Hung was creepy. Not creepy in the sense that you'd hide your children to avoid any infidelities. Hung was the kind of man that you'd swear had never been around children in his life; you actually begin to doubt that he was ever a child. (I think Hung has just always been a grumpy old man.)

"Well, you two are doing such a great job at keeping me out of the loop," I retorted sarcastically with a roll of my eyes. I tried again to stand, but Hung and Bao were much stronger than me in my sickly state.

Bao responded with something about me being stubborn and that I needed to rest, which was followed by Hung trying to coerce me to sleep until Zuko returned.

I, of course, did not listen. I was more concerned about what kind of conversation could be going on between Zuko and Zhao. It obviously had something to do with the Avatar — but I couldn't help but wonder if there was more. I mean, Zuko had been acting strange lately.

An hour or two later, Zuko returned, and Bao and Hung were dismissed. I didn't mention that I knew about Zhao's little visit — if he wanted to tell me, that was his decision. "Are you okay?" I asked Zuko as he plopped facedown onto his bed.

His response was muffled, but it was clear what he was expressing: distress. He rolled to his side when his rant was over and looked at me with his sorrowful eyes, their usual flame of determination now dimmed to a dismal shadow. "I can't do it." He spoke in a whimper. He never did that.

"Don't say that." I frowned, leaning my back against the wall so that I could sit up without straining myself. "I know you can, Zuko."

"Compared to Zhao's resources?" He scoffed. "What's the point? I'm never going to regain my honor or my throne."

Did I want Zuko to catch the Avatar? Of course not. Was I going to let him give up? Absolutely not!

This is probably the most difficult dilemma I've ever been in.

"Listen to me, Zuko, and listen closely" I sighed. "There's nothing in the world stopping you from reaching your goal, except for you. This 'It's impossible' mindset is what's getting in the way of your honor. You need to go out there and prove that you deserve to be the Prince of the Fire Nation. If you have to, just go out there and kick Zhao's — "

"You're right," Zuko nodded, sitting up and giving a lazy smirk. Without another word, he changed back into his all-black getup and grabbed his dual swords, as well as his blue mask. "I'm going to capture the Avatar, and nothing is going to stop me."

Author's Note:
Hey guys! This chapter is likely to be continuously edited over time because I'm not completely sure if I like how I wrote it yet. We shall see! Also, if you guys notice any typos/misspellings/etc. anywhere in my story, don't hesitate to let me know! It's a pet peeve of mine, and I tend to miss them while I'm writing and proof-reading.

That's all for now! Don't forget to like, comment, and follow me ❤️