Chapter 4

Weeks passed, each day feeling worse than the last. Don't get me wrong, there were some good days. Like the day Iroh took me and Zuko to Ember Island to celebrate the two of us turning thirteen-we're a few months apart, but it was still supposed to be considered a double celebration. There was the time Zuko and I snuck out to a festival, and that was going fine until people recognized me as "The Water Tribe Girl"-the nicer name that people used to refer to me. It was then that I realized just how much I needed Ursa with me, to protect me. I didn't want Zuko having the responsibility of looking after me; he deserved better.

One day, Zuko had attended one of his father's war meetings. He'd asked me to tag along. "No way," I told him. "There is no way I'm going in there. I don't want to hear anything about how he plans to attack the other Nations." He didn't try to persuade me, and he left. I spent my time with the guards, the only palace staff that liked me. Daichi, my favorite guard, trained me in combat as I waited for Zuko to be finished. Daichi was a lot like me: he came from the Northern Water Tribe, recruited as a guard when he moved to the Fire Nation, quickly upping the rank in the Fire Nation army. He'd lost both his parents in the attack, leaving in charge of his two younger brothers whose names I could never remember.

"Why didn't you go into the war meeting?" Daichi asked me, pinning me under his spear.

"Right," I said as I push him off of me, kicking his staff from his hands, "because I want to hear how Ozai and his men plan to invade Nations and kill the innocent for their own greedy, selfish interests. Yeah, no thank you."

"I see your point." Daichi laughed, retrieving his staff from the floor. "Good job today. You're improving."

"Are you saying I sucked at it?" I asked in mock offense.

"You were pretty good, But now you're really good," he smirked. "For a girl."

I gave him a good punch to the arm when there was a loud clamouring coming from down the hall. Daichi didn't hesitate to run to the source. Curious, I followed. Before I could make it to see what was happening, Iroh intercepted.

"Saki, you need to go to your room," he said as he held me by my shoulders to keep me from going any further.

"I don't have a room," I told him, trying to see around him. "What's going on?"

"Prince Zuko has spoken out of line," he said sadly, not letting me pass.

"What?" I stopped trying to pass him and looked up at him. "Wait, so what's going to happen?"

"He is to be punished" he sighed, "with an Agni Kai. Tonight."

"No," I breathed out. "No, no, no. Where is he?" When he didn't say anything, I begged, "Please, Iroh, please. You have to let me see him!"

Iroh finally caved and led to me to Zuko, who was sitting in his room, looking more distraught than I'd ever seen him. Iroh left us to be alone, but I knew he was still standing outside of the door. As soon as the door was shut, I sat down in front of Zuko.

"What happened?" I asked, but he didn't answer. "Zuko, what happened? What did you say?"

"He wants to send in the new army recruits as bait!" He blurted. "They're going to be used as a decoy. He's killing innocent soldiers that have dedicated themselves to their country!" I wasn't all the surprised, though. Ozai and his generals were ruthless, and they didn't care who they had to burn to the ground to get what they wanted.

"That's terrible," I shook my head. "But what did you say in there, Zuko? You have to tell me."

"Exactly what I just told you! I told them that they can't do something like that!" His face was a mixture of fear, anger, and regret. "Now I have to fight the general!" He had tears welling up in his eyes, but I knew he would let them out. I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly. He did the same, burying his face in my hair. I didn't want to let him go.

I didn't want him to fight.

That night, it seemed that the entire kingdom showed up to watch the Agni Kai. I stood with Iroh, who held me close by him. Azula was on his other side, and General Zhao behind us-directly behind me to be more specific, which made me highly uncomfortable.

"What happens after the Agni Kai?" I asked Iroh, but he didn't answer. He stared directly ahead. I stood uneasy, Iroh's hand on my shoulder. I hated this. I was terrified, and I wasn't even the one fighting. I focused my mind on Zuko, looking up at him as he stood waiting for his opponent. He stood with such pride. He had his signature arrogance, the one thing that flawed him when he trained.

His opponent approached, though it wasn not the general like he had expected-like I had expected. It was his father, Fire Lord Ozai, looking as cold and merciless as ever. I looked up at Iroh, hoping for some sort of explanation. Still, he was silent.

"I only had the Fire Nation's best interest at heart!" I heard Zuko plead. I looked up at him to see that he was on his hands and knees. "Please, Father!" There must've been more to what Zuko heard, but I couldn't concentrate on much. I heard Ozai's respond, but his words wouldn't register in my head as words. They were only hisses and growls. There was a flare emitting from his hands, and I couldn't look any longer. I turned my back to them, hiding my face in Iroh's chest and covering my ears as Zuko's scream rang.

It was that night that he was banished.

I walked with Zuko and Iroh to the docks, helping to carry Zuko's things as a group of soldiers boarded the ship. His left eye was bandaged, half of the left side of his face practically scorched. As their belongings were sent to the quarters, Zuko had asked to speak with me alone. We walked not too far away from the docks.

"How can your father be so....so...heartless!" I blurted out. Zuko took hold of one of my hands, covering my mouth with the other.

"Listen," he sighed, removing his hand. "He said I can come back when I capture the Avatar."

"So he's just sending you on some wild goose chase?" I scoffed. "The Avatar hasn't been seen in nearly a century! What makes you think he's even still out there?"

Zuko shook his head. "I know that. I also know that it means that I'm going to be gone for a very long time." I knew exactly where this was headed. "You need to come with me, Saki." I knew that I had to. Without him or Iroh, I had no chance of surviving the Fire Nation, and there was no telling how long Daichi would be able to look after me. I had to go. Not only to for my own protection, but to keep my promise to Ursa.

I had to look after Zuko, as well.

With just a nod (a very nervous nod if I might add), I walked with him onto the ship, hand in hand. Iroh caught sight of us, and a small smile could be seen on his face.

Only hours after setting sail, I stood on the deck as the crew rested. I watched as the waves crashed onto the side of the ship, the salty air filling my lungs.

"Shouldn't a young girl like yourself be resting?" Iroh said from behind me. I could've sworn he was asleep; I was hoping to be alone. "Why are you awake so late?"

"A lot has happened today," I said quietly. "I keep picturing him being burned. Every time I close my eyes, I hear him screaming. It wasn't even me up there, and yet it's all I can think about...."

Iroh laid a hand on my shoulder as he stood beside me, looking out onto the moonlit waters. "Prince Zuko is very lucky to have a friend like you. Someone who is there for him, and cares so much."

"Well, I made a promise," I told him, "and I plan to keep it."