Chapter 5

I woke up to a bright light shining upon me and a crowd of green gowned people surrounding me. My eyesight blurred and everything was hazy as I attempted to register all that was happening around me.

"Heaven. I can call you that, cant I?"

I turned towards the direction of the sound to see the betrayer before me. With a black and white suit and a tie, he looked smart and professional while I.... I looked down at my shabby hospital gown.

Memories flooded through me as a wave of anger and sadness rushed through me. We had been comrades-in-arms. At one point, I could have sworn it had come to something more than that. But it was all gone now. All because of that one act.

"Why?" I managed to croak as he approached me. His eyes flashed with an emotion i couldn't decipher. Was it guilt? Sadness? Anger? Hope? I wanted the answer.

"I do not know what you ask." He said after he had calmed down. His tone betrayed none of the feelings or emotions he had shown previously.

For a moment, I stared at him, stunned. We stared into each other's eyes and for a moment, i had a slight feeling of dejä vü.

I couldn't place where I had seen this scene before but I remember the playful smirk that had been on his face then. Now the smirk had been wiped off, replaced by the creases above his forehead and wrinkles. What had happened that had changed him so? I was curious. I wanted the answer and I would get it, no matter the consequences.

Perhaps it was time for past mysteries and conflicts to be resolved.