Chapter 3

*Flashback*
Mirrors surround me. There is no way of escape. Every mirror is a door. But every door comes back in.

Mocking laughs echo. Freedom thwarts me.

A searing pain on my skin, their idea of a good joke. The burns I suffer, their entertainment. My distress, my humiliation, their pleasure, their hobby. The acid pours down again onto my bare skin as I crouch down in a futile attempt to protect myself. I screamed myself hoarse and I knew from that moment that my voice would never be the same again.

I look up at the balcony and fury surges through me as I saw HIS face. The betrayer. I threw my knife. But it didn't go through. It never did, but that didn't stop me from trying yet again. A sneer found its place on his lips as he eyed my distress mocking me. All hope was lost.

The scene turned back to the present. In front of me was the calculations I had done previously and at the other side of the room were the rest of them. From where I was, it seemed like they were doing nothing, just passing time. I knew better. Everybody, including myself were at the end of our wits. To me, the whole mission seemed to be impossible. But how could I tell them that without another theory to replace it?

All of us had gathered here for one mission - a time machine. Only with that device could we correct our wrongs and forge new memories. Without this, our memories would forever be tarnished by the guilt and the ghost of our pasts. I stared down at the paper. Suddenly, continuing the calculations didn't seem as attractive. I knew the conclusion and I didn't want to be the one to draw it.

My mind drifted away into my past, drawing me into yet another flashback.