Investigation

The next morning Chase heads out at around eleven in the morning, heading towards the victims’ residence. She arrives ten minutes early and parks around the side of a double storey house. She walks around to the front and leans on the iron gate waiting for whoever she was supposed to meet. After waiting twenty minutes a thin man in a grey business suit parks out the front of the house. As he steps out of the car he notices Chase and approaches carefully.

“Miss Glades?”

She nods and pushes off of the fence.

“I’ve been instructed to allow you in access to the house but not leave you alone.”

“That’s fine.”

“Alright, shall we go in?” he enquires walking through the gate.

The Private Investigator follows him through the gate and into the residence. She feels the stones sewn into the top of her sleeves begin to drop in temperature signalling that death had occurred in the residence. She ignores the descending temperature and continues through to the living room where the carpet appeared to be stained with a large dark brown/red patch.

“This is where Mr Harman was found,” the man behind her states.

‘Any idiot can see that,’ she sighs internally.

“Was anything missing stolen from the residence?” she asks continuing down the hall.

“Nothing to our knowledge,” he answers following her up the flight of stairs to the second floor.

“What kind of a burglar breaks in and steals nothing?” she mutters as she walks into the study.

“Pardon?”

“Nothing, don’t mind me.”

Chase begins looking through the book case and draws searching for anything that may explain why her clients’ brother may have been murdered.  As she searches through the desk her guide clears his throat. The investigator glances at the thin man in the doorway.

“What is it you’re looking for exactly Miss Glades?”

“Something that will help me work out why Mr Harman was murdered.”

‘And how important to the sanctuary he was,’ she adds silently while she continues to look.

“But it was a break in attempt.”

“What kind of a burglar breaks in and doesn’t steal anything?”

“Perhaps Mr Harman intercepted him before he could take anything and when he was stabbed they panicked and fled the scene,” he comments.

“Who says the assailant wasn’t a she?”

“Well, I guess he could have been a she.”

Chase rolls her eyes and opens the second draw down. When she comes across a small journal the investigator pulls it out and studies it. She flips through the pages, sighing when she finds it blank. As she closes the book something scribbled on the inside cover catches her eye. Frowning she pockets the book ignoring the frown plastered on her companions face. The investigator leaves the study and looks over the other rooms. Finding nothing of interest she walks towards the front door. The suited man stops her at the thresh hold.

“What?” she asks impatiently, glaring up at him.

“You should return the journal that you took.”

“It may prove useful in my investigation.”

“It does not matter, you should return it,” he states, reaching for her the journal inside her jacket pocket.