Letter 14

Citudaolle,

            You’re more handsome than I remember.  Whenever I see you, that is what I think.  But every time I think that, I start yelling at myself.  Trying to remind myself that the government is tyrannical and corrupted.  And obviously, my words have no effect on you because you are in charge and the government is the same tyrannical and corrupted thing it was 800 years ago.  I don’t love you.  It was a poison that connected us, forced down our throats by brainwashed officers.  But you are… you.  Strong, stubborn, confident, you. 

            You are confused too.  I can see it when you glanced at us during the ceremony.  Alistriona stood slightly in front of me, holding the chains that shackled my hands together.  You saw first her, and you smiled.  Then you saw me. Your smile slid off your face.  Your eyes slid back and forth between us several times, and you pressed your lips into a tight line. 

            You don’t think I noticed.  The inked ring of thorns bound my body, not my mind.  I was staring ahead at Alistriona, pretending to think of ways to immobilize her.  I had thought of those weeks ago.  Without the bindings, there are 56.  With them, there are none. 

            And thank you for that.  Ordering the ceremony to remove those things around my arms.  It also removed about an inch of flesh all around my forearm, but that will heal.  While the doctor was digging the marks out of my flesh, my thoughts kept turning to you.  What were you thinking, seeing your ex lover have her flesh torn away from her body?  Were you surprised with my appearance?  No need to dull the blow – I know how I look.  Rail thin, hair chopped off, loose clothes, bony face.  I looked like a mess.  I’d like you to remember that all of that mess was caused by you.

            But I wish you would’ve just let me rot in my jail cell.  Did you have to drag me to my old training room?  Make me look at those weapons, see the faces of demons, all arrogant and naïve?  It was awful.

            When I stepped into the room, all the students were already there.  There were 89 demons total, along with six guards dotted around the perimeter of the room and two trainers.  The walls were white, covered with weapons and missiles, and the ceiling was a sheet of glowing light.  As Alistriona lead me past the students to the raised platform in the front of the classroom, I heard them whisper.  They barely moved their lips, and didn’t turn to one another – I bet they thought I didn’t notice anything.

            I did.

            “She’s so short.”

            “That’s the legendary Khlamuherguetora?”

            “Look at the rings around her forearm!  You can see straight to the bone!”

“Must’ve had those rings for an awful long time for the ink to have gone that deep.”

“How in Hell did she become legendary?”

I didn’t comment.  I stayed silent all the way until Alistriona led me onto the stage.

“This is Khlamuherguetora.”  She started, “she has been kind enough to join us in training.”  Her speech went on.  Who I was, my entire battle history, every nation that I helped conquer.  I’m surprised, though, that she didn’t decide to shove in my face her victory in dragging me down here.  “Did you have anything to add?” 

            I kept my voice flat and neutral.  “Do not cross me.” 

            I had said that for a reason.  The first, of course, was that I was in no mood to be crossed.  I do not like being dragged down to Hell by an ex-lover-who-killed-my-other-ex-lover’s lover.  The main reason, though, was that I needed to get a good understanding of my opponents.  Their personalities, and if it ended up there was a fight, their skill level.

            Immediately, whispers started circulating across the room.  It was extremely amusing.

            “I could easily take on that weakling.”

            “Scrawny little thing has an ego.”

“Who does that traitor think she is?”

            “When and where, girly, when and where.”

            Over three quarters of the population responded as though they were excited to fight me.  Only then did I allow myself a small smile.

            Four hours later, during a break, one of those three quarters approached me.  I didn’t see the need for a break.  They have all clearly taken the immortality potion.  The immortality potion prevents from dying – they don’t need a break.  They should be able to live with the discomfort.  My training sometimes lasted for days at a time – do you remember? – and we hadn’t taken any potion.

            It was a male who approached me, disturbing my peaceful little corner.

            “So, why shouldn’t I cross you?”  He asked me, towering over my sitting figure.  Arrogant little bastard.  I stood up quickly – he was still looking at where my reclining figure was by the time I had leaned my face in so that we were nose to nose.

            “Because I am in a room filled with weapons that I trained with – some that I had invented myself, over a millennia ago – and you’re, what?  Three hundred?”  After saying this I started walking toward the stage – as if seeking refuge by Alistriona.

            His arm shot out and grabbed my wrist, and I felt the cool, almost liquid feel of a blade against my skin.  “Scared?”  He taunted.  In one swift motion, I broke his wrist, grabbed his dagger, and was standing behind him with the sharp edge pressed up against his throat.  Several students gasped when their eyes finally caught up to my action, and across the room, Alistriona’s face hardened.

            “Yes, you should be.”  I smiled, the corners of my mouth rising, but not enough to reach my eyes.  I slid out from behind him and handed him the dagger.  I addressed the room.  “I can’t kill any of you, but a wound hurts.”  After this, I ducked as a sword swung over where my neck had just been.  I swept my leg so the person behind me fell, and within the next second, she was on the ground with a scythe protruding from her chest.  Another attacked, and I responded.  And another, and another.  I was dancing across the room, leaving a trail of groaning and cursing bodies behind.  Even the trainees that didn’t threaten me, I fought.  I needed to take inventory of everyone.  The most I was ever fighting at once was nine people – it was nothing. I’m ashamed to say this, but it’s the truth.  I was enjoying myself.  Thanks again for relieving me of my shackles.  It had gotten tiresome over the centuries. 

But it was really awkward fighting with them.  The younglings.  I was wearing my leather outfit.  Do you remember it?  It covers my entire body.  They were wearing practically nothing.  No decency, whatsoever.  I plan on bringing that up with you at tonight’s meeting.

Alina

***Hey guys.  Thanks for taking the time to read my stuff, and for the votes and comments :)  But the reason I publish my work on this site is because I want to improve my writing skills.  There's no way for me to do that without constructive critisism.  So (and I really hate doing this) I really want at least three comments.  Three chunky comments about any questions, clarifications, anything.  My writing style, or whether or not you like the characters, and/or what adjectives you associate with them.  Once that goal is reached, I promise I will try, try, try to update within two days of the third comment.  If the goal isn't reached...

I might stop posting.  Because I'm a busy little lady, and as much as I love writing, my focus really should be on other things.  Thanks again for reading my story, and hope to talk to you guys soon (psssst. through comments ;D).