2. Invitations and Broken Windows

A/N How's everybody enjoying the story so far? Is there anything you think will happen in this story? Anybody know who the traitor is, and why? I'm just so curious to why! (I have had somebody guess right though already ;)

Aww, and I find this part sad, because Rory can't remember Kayley :(

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

By the time I arrived in the kitchen, all four Oswins were sat around the table. Hollie smiled and waved with a handful of toast in her hands. Jenna was staring at the new television in the kitchen, Mark was deeply interested in his newspaper--and Lacey ignored me. As usual.

I sat in-between Lacey and Hollie, and Hollie began to tell me vividly about her dream. She told me that she had been at Hogwarts, and that there was an epic battle. She told me that she had been fighting a herd of ghosts, and everybody had been so proud of her.

I couldn't help smiling. "Well it was a better dream than mine," I told her with a smile.

"What was it about?" Hollie asked, swinging her stubby legs as she stared at me.

"Well--" I began.

"Shhh!" Jenna exclaimed, shooting daggers at me. "Apparently some local girl died, miles away. They're about to report on it."

Intrigued, I turned my attention to the small television. The local news began, with it's usual spinning logo, before panning out to the reporter.

"Good morning," The news reporter said in a grim tone. "In the early hours in the morning, two corpses have been found in the hamlet, Little Hangleton. The group of teenagers were looking for shelter in Little Hangleton's abandoned Riddle Manor, when they came across a gruesome sight. They found the corpses of Frank Bryce, local residential gardener, aged seventy seven. But the worst discovery was the corpse of Kayley Hopkirk, the Oxfordshire born fourteen year old."

They flashed two pictures onto the screen of the two unfortunate victims. The older man had a well lined face, and had heavy eyes. The girl--Kayley--looked strikingly familiar. Her hair was tied in a fishtail plait, her face covered in hundreds of freckles.

My breath was sucked in. I knew who she was! She was the girl killed in my dream last night! I kept my eyes locked onto the screen, waiting to see what they would say next.

"Kayley Hopkirk, according to her Mother, was at their home until at least four in the afternoon. The police believe that Kayley Hopkirk was suffering from family problems, and ran away from home without a trace. The latest theory from the police is that Frank Bryce murdered Kayley Hopkirk, but before she died, she managed to kill her attacker. If you have any further information about Kayley Hopkirk's reasoning for running away, please contact the phone number below."

There was a silence on the screen out of respect, before everybody in the kitchen turned to me. Mark looked anxious, Jenna close to tears, Lacey curious, and Hollie looked as confused as I felt. 

"What?" I questioned. "It's not like I knew her."

I started to eat my breakfast, and it was a few minutes before conversations started back up again. Maybe Kayley went to Oxford Academy with me? Maybe she was in my form class... I didn't remember her, but my adoptive family sure thought I did.

She must have been a classmate, I thought. Otherwise I wouldn't be crying after that dream...

A few moments later; without warning the window shattered. I ducked under the table, pulling Hollie with me, instinctively. As the shards narrowly missed the scalp of my head, I turned to Hollie questioningly.

"Was it you?" I asked her softly.

"No." Hollie whispered. "Was it you?"

I shook my head. We surfaced from the table, to see that a large owl had forced it's way through our kitchen window. It was magnificent and raven black, a roll of parchment between it's leg.