Dreams

Layla's head lowers as she takes in the Avenger's reaction.

They were disgusted, scared, and suspicious. And she couldn't blame them. She had seen everything they went through over the past twenty-two years. Bits and pieces here and there and she knew that they wouldn't trust easily.

Especially since they thought she was from Hydra.

Tony is the first to shake out of his stupor, his fingers reaching forward and running over the branding. Layla cringes, the wound feeling fresh even though it was given to her over a decade ago. 

He traces the arms of the octopus, his calloused fingers then moving up to the two separated skull heads branching from the tentacles. Surrounding the demonic ocean creature is a triangle, the creature going over the triangle's edges, making the symbol look almost 3D.

"It looks almost exactly like Hydra." He pauses, going over the two skulls again, "But at the same time it's not."

"Cut off one head and two more will grow back." Natasha scoffs, her crossed arms tightening across her chest.

"They branded you?" Clint interrupts suddenly, his voice catching only slightly. Layla nods, knowing that he is thinking about his children. "How old were you when they did this?"

She holds up nine fingers, before reaching for the pen and paper again.

They branded me after they realized what I could do.

They take a moment to read her cursive, "Do you know what they call themselves?"

The Second Head.

"Real original," Nat grumbles, looking away from the group. Layla shrugs, agreeing with the assassin.

The room falls into an awkward silence. At least for the Avengers. While they were stuck mulling over the information Layla's mind was being swarmed by scenes from around the world and other dimensions.

Sometimes it was easy for the girl to block it out. But she hadn't had this much constant human contact since she was free.

She was usually left alone.

It was easier for her to focus when she was alone. Now she was being attacked from all sides. She was not only forced to witness and experience everyone else's lives at the current moment but now she was living her own life.

Her head spins, knees buckling as she leans against the table for support.

Steve watches Layla closely as the rest of the team argues and questions her. She suddenly stumbles forward, gripping the table tightly as she hunches forward.

A gloved hand on her shoulder makes the spinning room still, if only for a moment. "Hey- are you okay?" Layla turns to face the Captain, his bright blue eyes appearing to her through the haze of all the other scenes in her head.

Before she can respond she falls forward, her head slamming onto the table with a loud crack.

Clint cries out, scooping Layla into his arms quickly. Bruce's eyes widen as he sees the small trickle of blood coming from Layla's hairline. At the same time, Tony scrambles forward, his hand darting out to run over the webbing cracks in the glass table.

"What the hell just happened?" Clint grunts, holding Layla in his arms.

"It must have something to do with her powers. It happened before when she spoke to us." Bruce reasons.

"Who knew the girl had such a hard head."

"Not the time Stark." Steve snaps, glaring at him briefly.