Not Hydra

She can't control her powers. 

She can't control anything. 

They are too strong, it was like her powers weren't apart of her. They control her, not the other way around.

Layla curls into herself on the bed in her newly assigned room. Hands covering her eyes as a migraine pounds behind them. Her toes clench as another pulse of energy pulses through her body unrestrained for the first time in years. 

"Someone should check on her." A low voice cuts through the thousands of settings and conversations taking place in the girl's head. The man who frequently wears the American flag being the one who spoke.

Struggling to a sitting position, she brings her knees back to her chest. Chin resting on them shakily. 

Ten minutes pass, the patriotic man taking two sets of stairs and an elevator to get to the room that the god put her in. Layla watches it all through her powers. The door slides open as soon as he approaches, an unseen force speaking as he enters.

She cowers away from the voice, hands closing around her blindfold-less eyes tighter.

"Sorry, that was Jarvis." He voices as he stands in the doorway, seemingly scared to approach the girl. "We didn't know you were awake." She shrugs in response. "Layla, could you come with me please?"

Slowly, she stands, one of her hands raising to rest on her shoulder, the other following as instinct despite the lack of cuffs.

Layla had had her powers since she was born. She didn't know how she got them or why she had them. All of these years and she still didn't know what all she could do. All she knew was that she always saw and heard everything. Some things she could block out, refuse to look into, but other things just come, no matter how hard she tries to fight it they slip through the cracks.

That was only one part of her ability though. The other abilities relied on her senses; mainly sight and touch. That's why she always wore the blindfold and gloves. The cuffs restricted something else. Something that Layla didn't know about but she knew that ever since they put those cuffs on her- people stopped dying around her. Whatever she was doing that caused people to die stopped when she was wearing the cuffs.

She wished these people had never taken them off. 

She had no idea what would happen now. 

Layla hesitates at the doorway. Could she really leave the room unrestricted? She looks up to the Captain, eyes squinted against the dull light. Steve nods reassuringly. 

Stepping out of the room, Layla's steps falter every few inches as a wave of her powers ripple through her body. Steve takes notice of her disjointed walking but doesn't know what to make of it. Her powers weren't visible to him so he chalked it up to her legs being wobbly. 

Layla notes his gaze but can't find it within herself to speak to him. 

She hasn't spoken for years.

That was one of the only things that she had control over and her words were valuable to her. She couldn't bring herself to use them for simple reassurances when she hasn't used them for important world-changing things. 

Besides, just uttering her name the evening before rubbed her vocal cords raw. The new pain definitely overpowered her longing to speak.

"We just have a few questions, then you can go rest."

Layla nods distractedly, a bloody scene of a world far away playing out in her mind. Pausing at the door the Captain steps in front of her. He hesitates as if he's going to say something but instead he shakes his head and allows the automatic door to slide open.